1993 Menu No.6 Frankfurters, Beef Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl » Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:47 pm

Hello!

I got my hands on another vintage brown bag MRE and this time it's one I've been really looking for!
having gotten into MRE tasting via Steve from YT he also reviewed this exact menu, though his was slightly different.

opening the bag I was immediately greeted by the charms

laying it all out, some items were contaminated by the Charms which had completely liquefied, they were unsalvageable, not even for display

I was very happy to see the rare FD Fruit Mix!

First I tried the potato sticks, they smelled a little off, I still tried a small handful, they were really bland and just a bit salty, but still crunchy
I think they would have been fine, but the smell and the fact that I had no experience with really old potato chips, I left them alone

the freeze dried fruit mix was really good, ate them dry and didn't reconstitute any of it, didn't taste or smell off in any way, I mean how would this even go bad?

I've seen many old drink mixes and had many old drink mixes which often go bad, but these were completely fine. Smelled exactly like the modern fruit punch mix, but tasted much better, less chemical and less artificial, despite being all artificial too.
What gives? Maybe it had dry mold and that made it taste better :)

Next up were the frankfurters, was really nervous how these would go. The FRH was busted, so I boiled them in the pouch a bit

smelled really nice and smoky, so far so good

and they were really good! Tasted nice and smoky, added some mustard and they were delicious. No funny aftertaste, no nothing.
Finished all four.

I didn't try the crackers and PB, as I knew they'd be fine and "same old", coffee also seemed fine and not clumped up, but I had old tasters choice before and I'll save this for another day

overall, the famous Frankfurters did not disappoint and I cannot remember if they were famous for being good or infamous for being yucky?

I have 3 more menus from the same seller arriving, Menu 9 Pork Chow Mein, Menu 8 Ham Slice and Menu 4 Omelette with Ham, will try to post reviews and take better photos!

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:47 am

There were “improvements” to the Four Fingers of Death entree somewhere along the way. The earliest exemplars in the 1980s issue, they were pale in color and decidedly less appetizing, at least in appearance. Notice the rich Corinthian leather exterior color in your pic. They weren’t too bad, but I was never a picky eater.

JermsMRE

Re: 1993 Menu No.6 Frankfurters, Beef Review

Post by JermsMRE » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:53 am

Awesome! I've been excited to try these. I've got 2 or 3 of these, the oldest being early 80's. Just haven't done a review yet. The ham slice menu you have coming I reviewed. Early 80's I believe and it was still edible and very good. Thanks!