1999 Beef with Mushrooms picture review.

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Robin heum

1999 Beef with Mushrooms picture review.

Post by Robin heum » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:59 pm

Hello so short story is that this is a menu that i have always had an intrest in trying for myself.
I love mushrooms so i thought this could only be good, in pictures it also looks great.
Thought it might be one of those older gems like Corned beef hash or old style beef stew.
Spoiler here ( In my opinion it isnt ).
1.jpg
2.jpg
So getting it out on the tray it seemed good, could maybe use a pound cake or something but skittles are always great.
Think these old ones have cancer causing dyes in it but well gotta be brave sometimes.
Pouches seemed fine and every component was in great condition, so had good hopes for the main.
3.jpg
4.jpg
So as soon as i got the mains out i got this wierd smell from them, familiar but also not at the same time.
Everyone here probaly knows the smell, u know that old mre smell that is just funky and cant be described.
So taste testing it confirmed my worries unfortunatly, First bite was incredibly bland which isnt unusual in Mre,s.
But after a few bites i got a sour taste in my mouth and my body wasnt having it, refusing to swallow.
Like i wanted to swallow but my body wasnt letting me :?:
Its not like it tasted so bad it would make me gag, but my body was just screaming at me not to eat any more.

So for the Lemon lime beverage base, not sure what my opinion on that one is.
I mean its a really good drink, but it isnt something that goes well with food and it doesnt help with thirst either.
I got more thristy by drinking it, not sure if im the only one who feels that way.

Skittles and crackers with grape jelly are always good, Grape jam tasted a little fermented but that just added flavour in my opinion.
Went perfectly with the crackers so that was my dinner for today.
Anyway just wanted to make a quick review of it here, also first one i have ever done:)
While writing this review i have just left it on the table but its really stinking up my apartment so im 100% certain its gone bad, gotta go and toss it in the trash.
Hope you liked the small review:)

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Re: 1999 Beef with Mushrooms picture review.

Post by Jim_M1988 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 pm

Cheers Robin, enjoyed the read. Makes me want to crack open an oldie :wink:.
Shame the main was bad. I sometimes find it hard to tell if things have gone bad or not...and have been caught out with it too. Occasionally I'll get almost to the end of a meal and notice my mouth going numb (but be fine after) other times all seems great but I get signs after that maybe it wasn't :lol:.
I guess part of it is knowing what they smelt or tasted like originally, but it's always a real treat to open a time capsule into the past. 1999, I'd recently moved to Bude with my family. I was 11 years old! Probably ate those sort of skittles regularly :)

Robin heum

Post by Robin heum » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:27 pm

It's a incredibly fun experience to not look up contents and go into a older Mre blind, like a time capsule for sure.

Back in the day if you added some salt, pepper and maybe the crackers into this main it would probably turn out great.
Could be I'm just a really picky eater too of course, Maybe artic field rations spoiled me😆 It's also special to eat something that was made when i was two years old.

Got a 99 chili Mac and Turkey, potatoes and gravy im hopefully gonna crack open some time this week too.
Only heard amazing things about the chili, so exited for that:)

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Post by Jim_M1988 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:38 am

Yeah, it's not top of my list to try...but I don't like mushrooms even when they're new!

CBH is one of the best though. Real shame a lot of the great menus are gone. I've had decent fresh caramels in the CBH before, was a real treat!

Turkey, Potatoes and Gravy is a good one. If I remember rightly it's a chunk of turkey, like a roast! Feel free to ping me some pics even if you don't post a review on here :).

Tedster

Beef with Mushrooms

Post by Tedster » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:47 am

So as soon as i got the mains out i got this wierd smell from them, familiar but also not at the same time. Everyone here probably knows the smell, u know that old mre smell that is just funky and cant be described. So taste testing it confirmed my worries unfortunately. First bite was incredibly bland which isnt unusual in Mre,s. But after a few bites i got a sour taste in my mouth and my body wasnt having it, refusing to swallow. Like i wanted to swallow but my body wasnt letting me :?: Its not like it tasted so bad it would make me gag, but my body was just screaming at me not to eat any more.

There wasn’t anything wrong with that meal, they tasted like that when new.