Menu 3 Chicken Stew. 1992 Brown bag

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
janedoedad

Menu 3 Chicken Stew. 1992 Brown bag

Post by janedoedad » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:40 pm

Bought this and a previously reviewed MRE some time back. Just as before, Mrs. JDD and the Beast are gone for the weekend, no time like now for a review.

Pouch, packaging and retorts were all in in good condition with no visible damage. All components from 1991. What's with the cheap spoon?

MENU 3
Chicken Stew TS, 8 oz.
Fruit TS
Peanut butter
Crackers
Cocoa
Beverage base
Hot sauce

My 'Yalp' Review: BORING!!! No sweets or treats in this menu. Do not recommend! :D :D

Chicken Stew TS, 8oz: Warmed in boiling water and kneaded pouch before opening. No bad smells or discoloration. No strange taste. Overall good flavor. Peas were mushy by recognizable. Carrots were a bit soft but retained good flavor, appearance and textures. A good amount of meat. The chicken tasted like chicken and a bit on the chewy side. Sauce was consistent in color, texture and flavor. This would have been disgusting eaten cold.

Fruit TS: Applesauce. No bad smells. This had turned a very dark brown with a thin grainy texture. Tried a sample. No flavor, but It left an apple aftertaste. Weird. I did NOT eat any more of this. . It may have been fine – rather not find out the hard way. :shock:

Peanut butter:
No separation or discoloration. Tasted like MRE peanut butter.
Crackers: Yep. Crackers. The perforations are useless.
Cocoa : Cocoa mix looked and tasted the same as fresh envelope of Swiss Miss. No lumps or stickiness.
Bev Base: Orange flavor. Some mix stuck to the envelope. Mixed easily and tasted fine.
Hot Sauce: Bottle of Tabasco. Bottle is still liquid but discolored. No I’m not going to try it.

Overall: Good for 30 year old food. Guessing it was kept in the proverbial cool, dry, dark place most of the time.

Pics are in the Google Album link below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5xEcayf8GYDa4PPUA
The Liver is evil and must be punished!