a few pictureless reviews.

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
bishopmarine

a few pictureless reviews.

Post by bishopmarine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:25 pm

while waiting for thanksgiving dinner to be prepared over the weekend. i ate up some loose entrees. sorry i have no pics. my laptop is waiting on a new hard drive. i am typing from work and i cant upload anything here. so a few reviews.

veggie burger - really good. good bbq flavor. had two wheat snack breads that i ate with it. okay texture.

clam chowder - i dont like clam chowder in the first place. so this may be good clam chowder. i hated it, could only handle a couple of bites. was way too thick and smelled bad. but like i said i wouldnt eat clam chowder from emeril.

beef roast with vegetables - very good entree ate it with veggie crackers and jalepeno cheese spread. the beef was excellent. good texture really tender chunk of real meat. not formed and shaped. veggies were okay. mushrooms had a funny flavor. the cheese spread would not re-constitute. i kneeded it for several minutes as usual but it was still seperated. it tasted fine just looked odd.

next review i will include some pics. my hitachi hard drive should be here any day.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:10 pm

If an MRE is eaten in a forest and no one sees pictures of it, was it really eaten? :-) Just kidding...couldn't resist...good luck getting your hard drive back in order.

About those reviews...

Veggie burger - I like that one, too - I was really surprised that I liked it so much seeing as I'm usually a meat-eater. I don't know what it is with MRE mystery meat but maybe once you're used to MRE meats, the veggie fake-meats taste pretty close to the real thing. :-) If you've ever had one of the MREStar Vegetarian Chili entrees, that stuff is excellent, too!

Clam Chowder - I'm not a big clam chowder fan, but I'll eat it. I like the canned "Chunky" or "Target" brand of clam chowder ok as long I can put enough hot sauce and crackers in it. So I'd say the MRE clam chowder is a step down from that stuff. Real chowder fans...go easy on me. I realize all the types I mentioned above are probably crap compared to the real thing. :-)

Beef Roast - I think I've only tried one of those but IIRC, it was pretty good and was a definite step up from previous beef/shredded beef/chunked beef entrees. As for that cheese spread, did you try heating it up in the FRH by sliding it underneath the entree or underneath the outside of the FRH bag? That usually does the trick for me.

SpikNik

Post by SpikNik » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:53 pm

In terms of meat quality, both the roast beef (with veg) and the beefsteak (with mushrooms) seem very good, certainly better than I expected before opening them for the first time. Both are good and firm, but break apart just right when cut.