2019 Menu #5 Chicken Chunks

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
RockyRaab

2019 Menu #5 Chicken Chunks

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:33 am

This is a great meal. It's one of only two that comes with no FRH and is intended to be eaten cold. There's a large portion of genuine chicken chunks, all juicy white meat and not "formed from paste". It comes with tortillas, cheese packet, and BBQ sauce. The BBQ sauce seems an odd choice, but it works pretty well with the chicken if you don't want the meat plain. There's more than enough chicken to fill the two tortillas and you'll end up finishing the meat with your spoon. Other goodies include a chocolate First Strike bar, teriyaki beef sticks, and BBQ-flavored corn nuts. There's also a packet of fruit punch electrolyte drink as well as a lemonade in the acc pack.

No pictures because I eat these while afloat on fishing trips, and it would be cumbersome to shoot photos.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

RockyRaab

Re: 2019 Menu #5 Chicken Chunks

Post by RockyRaab » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 am

Note: the first one was from Ameriqual. In the Commissary the other day, I bought another Menu #5 from Wornick. I look forward to seeing if there are any differences in contents or quality.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:42 am

Always liked this one, to me it seems like a mini First strike ration, a grab n go ration with a good mix of components that as you say needs no heating.
It always seems to be one that's left on the shelf too or one of the last ones picked on eBay listings which is fine for me as they are usually one of the cheaper ones.
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.

Ultio

Post by Ultio » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:46 pm

I had a menu 5 last week from a fairly recent case - packed Sept 2020 and I was surprised to see it included an FRH.

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:01 pm

I've had this ration many times, and it is one of my favorite MRE's though it is admittedly one that is less filling than some others. However, I have not had a version of it yet that comes with BBQ sauce. Each time I have had it the menu comes with Buffalo sauce, the kind of mild vinegary orange sauce typically used on chicken wings. The sauce is what made this one of my favorite MRE's because I absolutely LOVE buffalo sauce and that sauce is not present in any other MRE.