1991 MRE Menu #9 Review - Meatballs, Beef and Rice, in Spicy Tomato Sauce

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Deadheadmatt

1991 MRE Menu #9 Review - Meatballs, Beef and Rice, in Spicy Tomato Sauce

Post by Deadheadmatt » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:35 pm

This is my first MRE review video. I have been sampling these for many years and see that there are a number of others doing this, so I thought I’d take a stab. I first tried some of the “brown bag” MREs back in the early 90’s when me and some my high school buddies found these at a local hardware store that also had some military surplus items. I haven’t had a chance to try this particular MRE before though.

This particular MRE was edible, which is surprising for one that is 30 years old. It had the standard side items, crackers, peanut butter and a chocolate covered cookie. However, it also still had a dehydrated fruit, which they were moving away from. The coffee and grape drink still tasted fairly normal. The meatballs themselves were the only real casualty. The here hard and chewy and dry inside. The sauce was good and spicy, but I didn’t eat it all just because it had a weird aftertaste, and I was suspect of a 30-year-old tomato sauce.

As this is my first try, I appreciate any constructive input. Video link below:

https://youtu.be/efVhfGMWx5M

Deadheadmatt

Re: 1991 MRE Menu #9 Review - Meatballs, Beef and Rice, in Spicy Tomato Sauce

Post by Deadheadmatt » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 pm

What should I eat next?

Omelet with Ham
Chicken a la King
Beef Stew
Escalloped Potatoes with Ham

MRE preview: https://youtu.be/mLe9l3nm58c

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:40 am

Deadheadmatt wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:02 pm
What should I eat next?

Omelet with Ham
Chicken a la King
Beef Stew
Escalloped Potatoes with Ham

MRE preview: https://youtu.be/mLe9l3nm58c
escalloped potatoes if you want something thats good at all, omelet with ham if you want misery
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Deadheadmatt

Post by Deadheadmatt » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:08 pm

The consensus via email seems to be the Omelet. I'm no glutton for punishment, but I seem to remember trying on of these when they were fresh back in the 90s and it wasn't too bag. The later veggie Omelet seems to be a different beast altogether, but I don't have one of those to compare. I'll get to them all and post more detailed reviews in the next installments.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:37 am

the 90's omelet with ham was in my opinion VERY good! FYI - they also made a metal T18 version of the omelet with ham.