2005 Beef Ravioli MRE Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
SentientTootsieRoll

2005 Beef Ravioli MRE Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:51 pm

A few nights ago I felt like trying another old MRE and I decided on this 2005 Beef Ravioli menu produced by The Wornick Company. Let's take a look!
20201118_181630.jpg
Here were the components of the ration laid out on a tray. This MRE includes vegetable crackers, pears, lemon lime beverage powder, brownie with chocolate chips, beef ravioli in meat sauce, cheese spread, an accessory packet, and a flameless ration heater.
20201118_181827-min.jpg
Here's what was included in the accessory packet.
20201118_181923-min.jpg
While preparing the instant coffee, I noticed this one was crystallized. For those who would like to read more about this, a study was done by MREInfo member Mpitt. viewtopic.php?t=9304
20201118_181955.jpg
Here's a look at the beef ravioli and the pears in their retort pouches. I placed the beef ravioli in boiling water for about 10 minutes.
20201118_182043.jpg
Interestingly enough, you could turn the cardboard packing for the pears into a makeshift post card. I wonder how many soldiers actually did this.
20201118_182058-min.jpg
And here's the entire MRE prepared and ready to eat!
20201118_183153-min.jpg
15 years didn't do this one much justice. The beef part was still okay but the inside of the ravioli pieces weren't good. They had cheese in them and it started to turn brown and tasted a bit sour. The tomato sauce had a very cheap, sugary flavor to it. As you may be able to tell, the pears didn't make it. They smelled and tasted like really fermented apples or something like that. The crackers were great but the included cheese spread also turned brown and smelled like really aged cheese. I had to dispose of it. The chocolate chip brownie was very rich in chocolate and sugar. After a few bites, not only did it make me thirsty but it coated my tongue with a slightly bitter feeling. I think something in it also went bad. Despite the coffee being crystallized, I decided to prepare it anyway. It really didn't have much coffee flavor, it just tasted like drinking sugar and creamer with water. The lemon lime beverage drink was okay and reminded me of that powdered Gatorade drink mix. It's okay but not as good as the real Gatorade.