Beef stew 1991 in Norway.

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
norge

Beef stew 1991 in Norway.

Post by norge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:19 pm

Been a long time since i did a review here on the forum, but here it is :D
After a few hours in my collection room sorting old rations and gear i tougth it was time to give it ago.
i grabed a Beef Stew and here it is.

i also added a cherry limonade and chocolate nut cake. didnt review the cherry limonade, saved it for later :mrgreen:
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
008.jpg
the coffe was not in bad shape, but the creamer was like sour milk....

norge

Re: Beef stew 1991 in Norway.

Post by norge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:28 pm

the crackers and peanut butter was in perfect shape and taste
007.jpg
but the beef stew was so bad, sour rancid taste, did not finish that....
same goes for the cherry nut cake, good cherry flavor but bitter after taste :( the grape limonade was just like in the old days
012.jpg
the beef stew pouch was partly de laminated so i gues thats why it was bad.
011.jpg
tryed to cheer my self up with a 1991 chocolate nut cake
013.jpg
but even that was not so good, it have dryed up in a way, not holding up in shape crumbeled up- tasted good but not as it should do...

cheers ken, not so iron stomac as before :lol: :lol:

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:55 pm

I have had excellent results with vintage entree, assuming they were stored reasonably.

The Beef Stew was widely considered among the, if not the "best" MRE. Unfortunately in recent years the rations no longer use actual stew meat, having substituted an ersatz "beef" made with scrap pieces, floor sweepings, mechanically separated, "chunked and formed" all of it held together by what is known as meat glue. Nothing is too good for our boys in uniform, you see. No amount of simmering or anything like that will result in a decent beef stew.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Frickin’ awesome Norge. Love the colour in that chocolate nut cake. It looooked good, at least haha.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:07 am

It's unfortunate when the best part of the ration, the cherry nut cake is bad. I love those things and I don't recall coming across a bad one yet. I'd assume this ration spent some time in a garage during summer months and that's what led to it not being edible. I can't really understand why anyone would store MREs in a garage unless they intended to consume them promptly. Thanks for sharing your experience!

norge

Post by norge » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:17 am

one bad mre but have a bunch of lose to test :D :mrgreen:
001.jpg
its a gamble with these mres since i dont know how they have been stored before me.
cheers ken