1982 Meatballs in Barbecue Sauce MRE Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
SentientTootsieRoll

1982 Meatballs in Barbecue Sauce MRE Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm

Continuing with the trend of going through a case of 1982 MREs I have laying around, I decided to try this menu for lunch today. It's meatballs in barbecue sauce. I've had this one before and it usually holds up to the test of time. I also really liked the taste of it. Let's take a look!
20201003_114535.jpg
20201003_114553.jpg
20201003_114650.jpg
If we take a look at all the items laid out, we have a chocolate nut cake, meatballs with barbecue sauce, apple jelly, crackers, potato patty, cocoa beverage powder, and the accessory packet.

Here's a photo of the chocolate nut cake and the meatballs with barbecue sauce in their retort pouches:
20201003_114742.jpg
Here are the components of the accessory packet:
20201003_114842-min.jpg
Unfortunately, the creamer didn't make it. I had an extra packet of coffee and sugar so I added two packets of coffee instant type 1 and two sugar packets to it. Is it just me or does it look uniquely intriguing prior to adding water? It reminds me of baking.
20201003_115212.jpg
And here's the whole ration, prepared:
20201003_115953.jpg
The apple jelly looks somewhat fresh and wasn't too dark or liquefied.
20201003_120024.jpg
At the very bottom of the MRE case, I found an MCI sleeve. At first, I thought it had mysteriously found its way in there from my collection. But upon further examination, I think it came from the factory like this. I noticed that the edges look they've never been folded. And production of the MCI had stopped by around 1980. Were they just trying to get rid of the extras without discarding them? Or maybe it was just a mistake. Either way, I found this to be pretty odd.
20201003_122522.jpg
I boiled the chocolate nut cake and meatballs in their retort pouches for about 10 minutes. The meatballs smelled great and they tasted ok but after a few seconds, there was a subtle bitter taste on my tongue. As with the 1982 diced turkey MRE, I'm sure I could safely consume the rest of it if I were desperate enough but I don't feel the need to take my chances. Even if one were desperate, the other parts of the ration could be consumed for their caloric value. (assuming that I'm correct in understanding that food will lose its nutritional value over time but not its caloric value.)

The maple nut cake was very tasty. Boiling its retort pouch in for a bit really did it wonders by melting the chocolate chips in it. It almost reminded me of a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie. And few things are better than that! ;) This style of crackers aren't my favorite. I'd have to say the ones from the later 1980s, that were extra toasty were the best even though they didn't have salt. IMO, it's not the salt that makes a good cracker, it's how well toasted it is. This one was a starting to go a bit stale but it was still fine and made even better with the apple jelly.

I decided not to add any water to the potato patty. I mentioned in a previous review that I can purchase normal, hydrated potato patties almost anywhere at anytime. So what would be the fun in spoiling one of my few remaining chances to eat a dehydrated one? ;) And last but certainly not least, the cocoa with coffee/sugar was amazing as always. I know it's been said around here that MRE cocoa is delicious in its own unique way and you'll have to try it yourself to fully understand how much better it is than most store bought cocoa.

housil

Re: 1982 Meatballs in Barbecue Sauce MRE Review

Post by housil » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:03 am

Amazing that a 38 years old MRE is still in this great shape! Thx for sharing

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:37 am

Loved those chocolate nut cakes! Never heated one up though.

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:53 pm

I can never get an olive drab cocoa that doesn't leave a weird coating in my mouth after I drink one. Guess I'm just an unlucky person haha!

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am

Early or earlier MRE issue beverage powders were quite good, I thought. They did seem to use a rather high proportion of non-dairy creamer maybe in the cocoa. But it was tasty when doubled up.

The trick you see then was, as always, to save up 2 or 3 packets and then make a large canteen cup worth all at once, at a fair bit stronger concentration than advertised. This made a tolerable satisfying cocoa. A couple or three Type II coffees in there too, and now you have yourself a genuine GI Mocha. Can you say "I'm Zingin' Sarge!!" I knew you could. Just the ticket for a cold night pullin' guard duty or some BS detail.

The cherry and lemon-lime kool aid was Nectar of the Gods, again save up 2 or 3 packets, mixed up at maybe double strength or even a bit better, and it was kickass. None of the beverages whether coffee or anything else should be mixed up directed, imho, or a weak highly diluted drink was the result. The current issue beverages are not very good, at least in terms of quantity. Have to ratf&@ck an entire case just to make a large cup of joe. That is truly sad!

norge

Post by norge » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:51 am

Were they just trying to get rid of the extras without discarding them? Or maybe it was just a mistake. Either way, I found this to be pretty odd.

this have been found many times in the fisrt run mres, the first to write about it was member MREheather72 in Germany :D
there was also a few times MCI ration items in the first run mres, specialy candy items.

cheers ken. love your reviews :D

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 pm

Tedster wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am
The trick you see then was, as always, to save up 2 or 3 packets and then make a large canteen cup worth all at once, at a fair bit stronger concentration than advertised. This made a tolerable satisfying cocoa. A couple or three Type II coffees in there too, and now you have yourself a genuine GI Mocha. Can you say "I'm Zingin' Sarge!!" I knew you could. Just the ticket for a cold night pullin' guard duty or some BS detail.
I was eating these older rations in the evening, generally between 5 - 7 PM and I've been able to sleep okay by consuming a single packet of coffee instant type I or II. One night I thought I could get away with adding two type II coffees to cocoa and I felt a huge energy burst and couldn't fall asleep until 1 AM that night. I guess I got what I deserved for pulling that stunt. ;) It's amazing how after decades of storage, the coffee is able to serve its purpose.
norge wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:51 am
this have been found many times in the fisrt run mres, the first to write about it was member MREheather72 in Germany
there was also a few times MCI ration items in the first run mres, specialy candy items.
I didn't know it had been observed before. I agree, those are the only two possibilities I can think of.