1996 US MRE Menu 8 Chicken and Rice Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Magicalplaid

1996 US MRE Menu 8 Chicken and Rice Review

Post by Magicalplaid » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Hey everyone. I'm pretty new to this hobby, and this is the first vintage MRE I've tried (and my first post on here lol). I acquired it (along with 4 more) on eBay from Dudeman323, so I was confident in the purchase based on posts I read on here. Based on my experience this ration was indeed stored extremely well.

Long story short, everything except the Taster's Choice coffee was edible. The coffee succumbed to dry mold as seems to be the norm.
Photos on imgur: Crackers: good, better than the modern ones and seemed perfectly fresh.

Cheese spread with jalapeños: color was a little off and the smell was pungent but not really off-putting. Tasted fine.

Chicken and rice: everything about it was fine. Not a bad meal. I enjoyed it, especially with the tobasco added.

Fudge brownie: not bad, texture is a little dry but I wouldn't be surprised if it was like that in 1996.

m&ms: intact and edible but seem to have acquired the taste of the package they are in which is unfortunate. Won't be finishing those ☹

Grape beverage base: flavor has an odd tinge but still good.

Gum: perfectly fine

Tobasco: perfectly fine

Didn't try out the FRH, maybe next time. I was really hungry tonight and didn't want to fiddle around with it. Used the hotlogic mini (seen in one of gundog's videos) to heat the main which worked perfectly.

Finished all the food, still working on the brownie as I write this.

Thanks to Steve1989's awesome videos for inspiring me to get into this hobby. I'll try to post reviews as I go through my other 1996 MREs if you guys are interested in seeing that.

Hope you guys enjoyed seeing/reading about this menu as much as I did eating it. 🙂 It's such an odd yet cool experience to eat food only 5 years younger than me.

Frank

housil

Re: 1996 US MRE Menu 8 Chicken and Rice Review

Post by housil » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:34 am

24 years old, wow! :D
Magicalplaid wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:39 pm

Long story short, everything except the Taster's Choice coffee was edible. The coffee succumbed to dry mold as seems to be the norm.
Little side note, that "mold" is:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9304&

blue87fj60

Re: 1996 US MRE Menu 8 Chicken and Rice Review

Post by blue87fj60 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:40 am

I always grabbed that meal on fishing trips when we cracked open a new case up at my FIL’s cabin.
Always added a little Tabasco as well!
I miss those little bottles.