MREViews: Menu 14 Creamy Spinach Fettuccine

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
MRECivvy

MREViews: Menu 14 Creamy Spinach Fettuccine

Post by MRECivvy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 pm

Howdy Y'all! It's been awhile since I've done a review, so let's get into it. Here's Menu 14 Creamy Spinach Fettuccine.
So here's all we get with it:
  • The main itself.
  • Pretzels
  • Crackers
  • Chocolate Protein Beverage Powder
  • Peanut Butter
  • First Strike Bar, Apple Cinnamon
  • Hot Sauce
  • Accessory Packet with Cinnamon gum and Coffee Instant Type II
So while the main heats up, let's set everything else up and try it all out.
I would've preferred any of the cheese spreads (esp. with bacon or with jalapenos) to the peanut butter, but I won't turn it down. I like MRE crackers surprisingly, and the peanut butter is a nice addition. The pretzels are pretzels. Nothing much to say about them.
The chocolate protein shake is okay. It tastes very artificial and I suppose that's to be expected because a lot of protein powders are like that, but I don't really drink protein shakes all that much. I would've much preferred an isotonic beverage powder or something like that. I didn't drink the coffee this time because it was the early evening when I ate it and I didn't want to be up all night. But I like Coffee Instant Type II so I'll definitely try it out tomorrow.
The main is also pretty good. A lot of US MREs tend to look a whole hell of a lot worse than they taste, but with this one, there really wasn't any way to screw up how it looked (or how it tasted). I added a bit of the hot sauce for a bit of kick and it was pretty good! A common complaint I have with MRE pasta (like on the chicken pesto pasta) was that it was really soft and sorta tasteless. The spinach sauce made up for it.
Lastly for dessert was the First Strike bar. I like the apple cinnamon one a lot better than the chocolate one, but like all FS bars, they're tough, sticky, and chewy. Not my favorite but I ate it all.

Overall, this MRE left me wanting a bit more. I guess this was meant to be one of the "lunch" rations, with the breakfast and dinner rations being the larger portions. The main definitely was the highlight as everything else was sort of just a snack and didn't really add anything to the rest of the meal. If I had to give it a rating, 5/10, maybe.
You are my rock or something.

TheMaus

Re: MREViews: Menu 14 Creamy Spinach Fettuccine

Post by TheMaus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:33 pm

This was my first ever ration i ate and i have to say it still remains one my of favorite
People i Reccomend : ViperGTS,Steve1989,KML1989,Dvalin

MOST WANTED MRES:
Full MCI With Smokes, Italian MRE With Cordiale, Emergence parachute Rations, PM me if you have any of these please :D

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Post by RGoodellSr » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:28 am

I've been a little nervous to try this one, it just doesn't appeal to the eye for me. One day, I'll finally do it and I'll probably find out all of you are right.
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:18 pm

This meal is now on deck behind seat of work truck. :mrgreen:
Finally clobbered the Asian Beef Strips I was carrying for a while.

MRECivvy

Post by MRECivvy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:50 pm

Well, Steve got around to trying it and didn't seem to like it all that well. He got unlucky and got "Bill's Brew" coffee instead of Type II like I did.
Also, he warmed up the first strike bar. I never would've thought to do that.
You are my rock or something.