My first brown bag MRE! 93 or 94?

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
JediMindTricks

My first brown bag MRE! 93 or 94?

Post by JediMindTricks » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks to DudeMan for letting me buy a few of these Brown Bag MREs! I do not understand date codes, so I couldn't tell you exact dates, but as I understand it these are from 93-94?

My first brown bag was beef frankfurters!

The frankfurters were just fine, just like store bought cocktail wieners. No foul smell, taste was good. Very artificial, but completely edible, I added the tobasco, which makes everything better.

I had potato sticks!

I haven't had these in years! They were crispy, salty, just what the doctor ordered, and good flavor.

Crackers!

I haven't tried the crackers with peanut butter yet, I will have them tomorrow with coffee.

Cocoa beverage powder

I will have this another time, and will let you know how it is.

Accessory packet

Plus a Mars bar and Chicklets!!!

I personally haven't had chicklets in at least a decade. They were just as I remember, delicious, chewy, made my mouth fresh. The mars chocolate, was delicious. I thought this was a mars candy bar, but this was just chocolate, and dammit, it is gooood.

Main course with potato sticks

The beef frnkfurters were very salty, and the texture was tube meat, but as I said, completely edible, made better with tobasco sauce. The crispy potato chips made it much better. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste of both.

Peaches!

I've never had these types of peaches before! and they were delicious!

FRH

This type of FRH works faster, stronger, better than any of the modern FRH I've tried in US mres. They start chugging along in 15 seconds, and go for a minimum of 10 minutes. I was kind of surprised, because I think the modern US frh's, granted I've only had about 5 different MREs, pretty much were all fails.
Image Image Image

Smitty

Re: My first brown bag MRE! 93 or 94?

Post by Smitty » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:20 am

Just an excellent write up. Those Mars Bars are super near. High melting point for high temp environment use, and those FD peaches are the best dang things I’ve ever had.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:34 am

Great job this write up, Igor

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Ooh memories! This was actually one of my favorite meals back in the day. Nice review!

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Okay UPDATE!!!

The crackers are f'n amazing!!! They have texture to them, they're crispy, they have flavor, wow! everything modern US mre crackers don't have. I scarfed down 2 packs.
The cheese...ehhh. I think it might have been edible...I guess for Steve, but it made my tongue tingle and gave a badddd aftertaste. I took 1 bite and through it out. The Peanut butter and grape jelly from another brown bag were fantastic!!

Applesauce is again...edible, but I didn't feel like visiting diarrhea city. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now, the coffee, it's all gooood baby. I've had about 3 cups already.

The whitener is also all good.

I can't get over how well the FRH works, I mean.. you could hook this up to the power grid.
Image Image Image

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:38 pm

THE HOLY RELIC HAS BEEN FOUND!

I will let you know how it tastes
Image Image Image

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:44 am

Wow Igor! Awesome. I have only come across reproductions, nice find👍

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 am

Guys, I almost started crying. The charms candies are just goop. They are melted baggies of goop. I soooo badly wanted to try some charms. I don't think I've ever had charms candy.
Image Image Image

RSMRE

Post by RSMRE » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:50 pm

JediMindTricks wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:45 am
Guys, I almost started crying. The charms candies are just goop. They are melted baggies of goop. I soooo badly wanted to try some charms. I don't think I've ever had charms candy.
Don't sweat it on the Charms....we always considered them bad luck to consume anyways
Sellers/Traders I recommend: ViperGTS x2, Salty Croc, donjuan_21,Sturm44,Ration_Man

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:37 pm

Great review! I can remember picking up this menu at the army navy store when they first came out. Good memories of camping with my buddies.

Thanks for sharing, good write-up!