2017 Menu #2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce / my first MRE and review ever!

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
adam0s

2017 Menu #2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce / my first MRE and review ever!

Post by adam0s » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:23 am

Hiho!
Finally I decided to share my thoughts about my first MRE. I tried it a while ago so I'll be basing on not so fresh memories and on few photos I took. I'm not an experienced writer and editor but maybe I get better so let's begin.

2017 MRE Menu 2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce
menu2_1.jpg
I was really excited while unboxing my first MRE if you can call it an unboxing, it came wrapped in a foil and seemed damaged (pic below). I wasn't sure if it expired or not as I couldn't find a tag with date code. However single items in the ration were undamaged and tagged as manufactured in 2017.
menu2_11.jpg
menu2_2.jpg
The first thing I did was mixing a beverage powder with water and... I need to digress. My friend after vacation in the US told me that everything she tasted was a lot sweeter than here in Poland. Even in McDonalds, where you expect that some things should be similar worldwide, the coke was so sweet she couldn't drink it. So with concerns I took a sip and the lemon-lime flavored beverage was sweet but not too sweet at all! My wife didn't like the flavor but it was good for me and I could drink it on more occasions.
menu2_3.jpg
I used a FRH to heat both beef and beans inside a cardboard sleeve. It was the first time I used a FRH so the meal wasn't heated properly but I could consider it as warm and edible.
menu2_4.jpg
The beef looked more like... well lets say it wasn't appetizing. It was a little too sweet for my taste but dense and full of meat so my overall impression was good. I put the beef, beans, bbq sauce and jalapeno cheese spread on tortillas and all of those things combined made awesome dish. I was hoping that cheese spread will be similar to those dips served in cinemas with nachos and I wasn't wrong. I wish there were 2 packs of it in each MRE.
menu2_5.jpg
menu2_6.jpg
I was left with oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie for desert. Sadly it was crushed inside the sachet but it didn't affect how it tasted (or maybe it did? ^^). Anyway it was good cookie with big chocolate bits.
menu2_7.jpg
I opened the accessory pack out of curiosity as I'm not a coffee fan and I drink it black mostly. But having opened pack I tried the chewing gum which didn't last long, I got used to chew gum for hours. I don't remember how the coffee tasted but I used the creamer with other instant coffee and I liked it.
At the end I can say that this ration made an incredible impression on me and I can't wait to try it again. I'll try to compare it with 2018 version which I just received and maybe I'll post conclusions.

-adam0s
Last edited by adam0s on Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My other reviews

Hunter1998

Re: 2018 Menu #2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce / my first MRE and review ever!

Post by Hunter1998 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Awesome review!! Your friend is right about America being a lot sweeter I am German but living with my wife in California and the pallet can be quite different and at times diverse with the many immigrants here such as myself :lol: You should try Menu 7 and 6, seven is very good in my opinion for cheap tactical food lol and six is well but to me has an MRE taste to it that seems present in some other entrees I have eaten as it is definitely Mexican food but you know it is definitely not that authentic, maybe the lack of spices? I only hope to see someone from Asia review menu 22 Asian Style Beef Strips with Vegetables as I detest that!

adam0s

Re: 2017 Menu #2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce / my first MRE and review ever!

Post by adam0s » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:31 am

Hiho!
I'm glad you like the review which encourage me to keep writing. It's kinda funny as I tried menu 7 yesterday. My opinion might differ from yours 8). I'm gonna post a review soon.
-adam0s
My other reviews

Smitty

Re: 2017 Menu #2 Beef Shredded in Barbecue Sauce / my first MRE and review ever!

Post by Smitty » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 pm

Dude, very nice written review. Well done. "Made a big impression" Ooooh now you're hooked. Game over man! :D
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm

adam0s wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:31 am
Hiho!
I'm glad you like the review which encourage me to keep writing. It's kinda funny as I tried menu 7 yesterday. My opinion might differ from yours 8). I'm gonna post a review soon.
-adam0s
Nice job...I started of with written reviews but had to go YouTube, once the obsession started...are you going to try video reviews?

adam0s

Post by adam0s » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:01 am

Smitty wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 pm
... Ooooh now you're hooked. Game over man! :D
Haha yea I'm hooked ^^
ViperGTS wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm
Nice job...I started of with written reviews but had to go YouTube, once the obsession started...are you going to try video reviews?
Thanks and no, I'm not going to make a video reviews in the near future. I don't have a proper equipment and skills to edit videos. However when I'll move to a bigger place next year I'll think about making videos.
My other reviews

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:43 am

adam0s wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:01 am
Smitty wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:06 pm
... Ooooh now you're hooked. Game over man! :D
Haha yea I'm hooked ^^
ViperGTS wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 pm
Thanks and no, I'm not going to make a video reviews in the near future. I don't have a proper equipment and skills to edit videos. However when I'll move to a bigger place next year I'll think about making videos.
My vids are filmed/edited 100% on my galaxy s10...no special equipment is needed👍...I did buy a $5 mini tripod though

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Good review! Now that you've "drank the beverage powder" you're one of us, haha! :D