Menu 8 Ham Slice with Escalloped Potatoes. 1993?

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
janedoedad

Menu 8 Ham Slice with Escalloped Potatoes. 1993?

Post by janedoedad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Being that Mrs. JDD and the Beast are gone for the weekend, thought it might be time for my first review.

Today's MRE is a brown bag throwback to 1993-1994. Date stamps indicate 1992 production. It is a Menu 8, The Ham slice in natural juice with escalloped potatoes. Found this one and a Menu 3 (Chicken Stew) at a, of all places, model railroad show. Paid $5 for both menus.

A. Accessory - Coffee: No issues with the Taster's Choice instant coffee. (Well, no issues beyond the fact that it is instant coffee :( ) Coffee and creamer still in powder form with no sign of mold or contamination. The instant mixed up as it if were made today. The CoffeeMate mixed in well, with no lumping or discoloration. Excepting the Tabasco sauce, all remaining of the contents were fine.

B. Brownie - Think of a Little Debbie that was left alone in a food dehydrator for a week. Rather crunchy and satisfying in a strange way.

C. Cheese and Crackers. Cheese has turned to the brownish color and the taste was slightly off. Discarded the cheese and realized i wouldn't know a bad MRE cracker from a good one. (IS there a difference?)

D. Beverage Base - Basically instant Gatorade, no issues, discoloration or caking.

E. Cocoa Beverage Base - Generic Hot Chocolate, again no issues, discoloration or caking.

Entree and Side Dish

Heated both items in microwave oven.

F. The "Ham" Slice - Opened and drained the retort. Juices were clear with no sign of particles, mold, etc. No odor noticed. The inside of the retort showed some discoloration in spots. I think this may have been from the salt used in the curing process. First bite: Flavor was good, similar to SPAM (Which I actually like) with less salt taste Texture was what you would expect from particle meat.

G. Escalloped Potatoes - No obvious odors, the contents were all the same color. Not sure if this is intentional or not. The potato chunks have retained most of their texture. The sauce seemed rather bland with a metallic aftertaste. No real flavor beyond a hint of processed pasteurized cheese food product. Flavor was improved by a few drops of Tabasco sauce.

Overall, this was a pretty decent MRE considering product development when it was made and age.
The Liver is evil and must be punished!

janedoedad

Re: Menu 8 Ham Slice with Escalloped Potatoes. 1993?

Post by janedoedad » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:54 pm

Been over 24 hours with no untoward effects of gastric distress. WooHoo!! :)
The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:13 pm

I will defintely say those potatoes are meat to be more orangeish, yellowish color the that, but as long as you didn't get sick haha!

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Good review, and a tip of my hat to your bravery. Those dark brown bag MRE's sure bring back memories. Thanks for sharing!

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:33 am

Your lucky the brownie was good! Usually those are bad because of the nuts, you can tell if they are bad as it will make your tongue tingle.