2018 Menu #23 Pepperoni Pizza Slice

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: 2018 Menu #23 Pepperoni Pizza Slice

Post by parafireboy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Great pics and review, Steve! I just watched your video review a few minutes ago, which was excellent as well! :D

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 am

Do you guys think they will make more versions? :mrgreen: Now that they already have the basic ingredients they can do more diferent types... I think probably BBQ pizza would be one of the easiest ones to do, since they already have shelf stable bbq sauce and ground meat...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

[ex-Member1]

Post by [ex-Member1] » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 am

It looks like a good competition for the worst MRE menu. Most overrated ration item turned into a MRE menu, next to famous Spanish breakfast that still holds first place, but pizza MRE could be close second,

michel2827
eBay name: onkelcarsten

Post by michel2827 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Nice Review Steve, just watched it. Looks tasty, but 30 Years of development for a slice of pizza. Puh, that's a long time.
Tried lots of foreign rations from Europe and Northern America. Want to try Asian and South American rations

Sailswish

Post by Sailswish » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Is this not in the latest 2020 inspection cases with Chicken Burrito Bowl? Doesn't seem to have made it to Ebay as a single MRE.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 am

Thanks everyone for your response!

First to SentitentTootsieroll:

I felt like this was a well balanced menu with various ways to improvise. That cobbler for instance.. it can be heated but also a thing I didn't do and wish I had - add half of the oatmeal cookie to it. Bust the thing up and toss it in the cobbler for extra crunch. You know, the pizza can have things added to it. Cheese spread, hot sauce, really anything you can think of that will accentuate the flavor and texture of it. It is very much like that school pizza from back in the day. I would pay 20 bucks for a tray of Friday school lunch from 4th grade. I tossed one in the oven on 350 and the cheese burned before melting. I would like to take the Italian breadsticks and toss them in the oven and see if they crisp up a little.
I have a bunch of those chocolate chip cookies. The ones from 2014 with 3.5 gs of trans fat in them too. :)

cavguy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:12 am
Nice Steve! Very cool to see the old Natick pics as well. Cant wait to check out the video, this looks like an MRE I will actually pickup when I can find one - as I really like to see that they are finally phasing out the Trans-Fat.
Thanks cavguy! The old Natick pics are pretty cool, huh? That pizza must be one of their first examples.
I really think it's a good thing the trans fats are finally getting removed from components in MREs - but will it affect shelf life? This is something worth examining in the future.
Oldsmokey wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:53 pm
Wow just wow. This is an epic day in mre review history. Like Steve said 30 plus years and millions in developing this marvel. Something to give the guys eating it in the desert or some foreign land a little feel of home. When I was doing a bunch of research on the pizza for a video I realized what a mega huge deal it really is. I'm pretty sure there's not another single component they've worked on this long before releasing it. I have a feeling most things they'd give up on with as many issues as they had making the pizza hold up to their standards. I couldn't be more happy that Steve you got the first ever review of the office U.S MRE Menu #23 Pepperoni Pizza Slice. Congrats dude. I hope this video gets 100 million views. The most viral mre review video ever.
Oldsmokey, this is a pretty landmark advancement in shelf stable foods. Having the bread, cheese, and sauce all in one platform is pretty amazing. There is a lot to work with - many variations can stem from this. Thanks man - it was a lucky pass getting this menu.
Dvalin wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 pm
Awesome, thanks Steve!
Hey, I've been seeing some coffee type 2 in 2017 MREs as well. Does anybody know when they started using type 2 again?
Hey thank you, Dvalin! I think type 2 made a comeback in 2017 - but then again I haven't opened many 2016s or 17s to confirm this 100%.

To Snipp3r: Yes that is the Bridgeford pizza in this menu.
WorkmanMRE wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:50 pm
Your the first king Steve! Great pictures and review!
Thanks Ben! I hope they make a vegetarian cheese pizza and maybe some sorta fake bacon or something on it (or two cheese pizzas or something) to replace that crazy spinach one.

parafireboy wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm
Great pics and review, Steve! I just watched your video review a few minutes ago, which was excellent as well! :D
Thanks so much parafireboy! :) Glad you could check this one out. I think this will be a very popular menu.
carlosflar wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 am
Do you guys think they will make more versions? :mrgreen: Now that they already have the basic ingredients they can do more diferent types... I think probably BBQ pizza would be one of the easiest ones to do, since they already have shelf stable bbq sauce and ground meat...
Hey Carlos, I think there is a good chance of variations of this pizza. Imagine a white pizza with sausage bits. Or like you said a pizza w/ BBQ sauce! Brilliant idea there. Or hey imagine one with shelf stable bits of ham and pineapple - Hawaiian pizza!
Asger wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:49 am
It looks like a good competition for the worst MRE menu. Most overrated ration item turned into a MRE menu, next to famous Spanish breakfast that still holds first place, but pizza MRE could be close second,
Hey Asger! I love your take on this man. For a number of reasons - this gives hope for those soldiers issued this MRE that there is always that one guy who doesn't want it. So they will trade it for anything else - even chicken & noodles or that creamy spinach fettuccine one. Also it means there is room for further development on this ration. Like Carlos says, maybe a BBQ pizza or even something else. This is just the beginning of a successful shelf stable pizza. And us Americans love pizza to a fault. Being able to give those soldiers something that reminds them of home is important for a morale boost. But then again, maybe soldiers won't like it? And it could be a huge failure - making it like the Vomelet and only be in service for four years or so.
michel2827 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm
Nice Review Steve, just watched it. Looks tasty, but 30 Years of development for a slice of pizza. Puh, that's a long time.
Thanks Michel! Yes a lot of trial and error before this one was corrected. I can only imagine how many careers and millions of dollars went in and out the door on this project.
Sailswish wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:19 pm
Is this not in the latest 2020 inspection cases with Chicken Burrito Bowl? Doesn't seem to have made it to Ebay as a single MRE.
Hey Sailswish, your 2017's will not have this menu. It will be in the 2021 inspection cases. When it makes it to Ebay I will bet it will be a little expensive at first like the Chicken Burrito Bowl was last year. But 6-10 months after it will be common and not expensive just like burrito bowl has become.

Sailswish

Post by Sailswish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:10 am

Thanks for the response, Steve! Something to look forward to next year. Compliments on the vid of the WW2 survival kit, by the way.

Mpitt

Post by Mpitt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:11 pm

steve1989 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 am

I tossed one in the oven on 350 and the cheese burned before melting. I would like to take the Italian breadsticks and toss them in the oven and see if they crisp up a little.
I have a bunch of those chocolate chip cookies. The ones from 2014 with 3.5 gs of trans fat in them too. :)
I agree with Steve's finding here. You can actually buy this cheese separately in some stores. In my local area they sell it at the Dollar Store as a bag of shredded cheese. It works OK for topping off something like tacos or as a cold application like in a salad and it loosely does resemble cheese. But, for the love of everything good and pure, do NOT try to cook with it or you WILL be disappointed. It's molecular composition is not that of normal cheese and is itself a 4th or 5th unique state of matter. It has no melting point or at least a melting point that is not reached before the thermal decomposition temperature is reached resulting in burned product. This is either a marvel of modern science OR a contorted, grotesque result of man's desire to play god. You be the judge (lots of reviews on youtube).

Myself, I still have a soy bacon slice MRE bag from Black Dog Bob that I'm excited to try out.

macsen573

Post by macsen573 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:36 am

michel2827 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm
Some things are worth getting right before releasing them.

When I saw it unpackaged, "square school pizza" is exactly what I thought, except they didn't use the shelf-stable cheese. Honestly, I really miss that pizza. I remember putting salt on mine just to add some extra crunch and bite.

I also saw the pizza separate on the internet. May actually have to try this some time, and not wait til the MRE itself makes it en masse to eBay.

Skantman
eBay name: Tjlopez10

Post by Skantman » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:05 pm

If you want just the pizza component epicenter has them for like 4$ Great review by the way Steve. I love you videos man. I’m over in Plant City, not far from you I believe. Have to catch up one day.
New to the hobby! Looking to buy any in-date 24hr rations from all over the world. Glad to be here!! :D :D
eBay name is Tjlopez10