No. 16 Chicken Burrito Bowl mini review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

No. 16 Chicken Burrito Bowl mini review

Post by Conrad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:00 am

So some of you may have seen that my menu 16 was raided by customs so I'm missing the cinnamon bun and the orange beverage powder which I later discovered had also been cut open.
I ate the spicy crackers already... Well spicy dust.
As a result I'm just going to review the main, as its the only new thing.

I'm in my house so I heated up the main in a bowl in the microwave for one minute, kneaded the cheese spread and then took the tortilla packet out of my jeans pocket where it had been warming up slightly for about 20 minutes.

Anyway,
I tasted the burrito filling on its own first. Has a general tex mex / spiced taste. The flavour of the chicken itself is not strong but you know its there. Could taste the peppers and the sweetcorn and you'd know there was onion in there.
It's not exactly restaurant food but it IS genuinely nice and tasty. The rice still has a tiny bit of bite to it and the chicken has enough chew to know you're eating it.

I made up one little wrap with cheese spread and ate it before I put any hot sauce in the mix. Pretty damn good for what it is. It would definitely give me a nice morale boost if I was eating it out "In the field"... As much in the field as I get which would be on a hike or put fishing.
Could describe it as fun food.
. Mixed the hot sauce through the remaining stuff in the bowl and that really did, as you might expect, bring it up a level or two. Sort of... Finished it off.
Made my second wrap with the now nicely spicy mix and ALL the remaining cheese.
Lovely.

Then happily ate the remaining burrito filling and drank the coffee which I had made up in a 4oz cup with the sweetener AND creamer which I never do.
To me that was a very American experience. I've only ever had coffee like that in the US. Here, I drink it black and very strong.

. So that's it... I want to get a couple more of these, I like this menu.
I recommend trying it if you can get it
Attachments
IMG-20180312-WA0002.jpeg
DSC_0477.JPG
DSC_0481.JPG
DSC_0480.JPG
DSC_0479.JPG
DSC_0483.JPG

SD_Jeff
eBay name: Sluggowins

Re: No. 16 Chicken Burrito Bowl mini review

Post by SD_Jeff » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm

Looks pretty good. Kind of reminds me of the Asian Beef thingy, which was also very good.

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:24 am

SD_Jeff wrote:Looks pretty good. Kind of reminds me of the Asian Beef thingy, which was also very good.
It's pretty tasty by mre standards. It's similar to the Mexican chicken stew but nicer and less watery so easier to eat without making a mess

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

I just got that meal in a TOTM yesterday. Looking forward to it.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed May 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Good review, thanks for sharing! Bummer about it getting raided by customs though. Darn. I've got a menu 16 inbound now and am looking forward to trying it.