Where has the Tabasco gone?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
ladycplum78

Where has the Tabasco gone?

Post by ladycplum78 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:46 am

Did they lose the contract for Tabasco in US rations? I don't see the iconic bottles anymore, just packets of generic hot sauce

RockyRaab

Re: Where has the Tabasco gone?

Post by RockyRaab » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am

The bottles were heavy, leaky, and probably quite expensive. Packets of all kinds of hot sauce can be bought from any fast food chain supply by the bazillion. And variety is good.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Jen

Post by Jen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am

I've had pepper sauce in the last two meals.

ladycplum78

Post by ladycplum78 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:17 pm

RockyRaab wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am
The bottles were heavy, leaky, and probably quite expensive. Packets of all kinds of hot sauce can be bought from any fast food chain supply by the bazillion. And variety is good.
Well I don't know about what the military paid for them, but the little bottles we get from the plant when we go on a tour are fairly inexpensive and very sturdy.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm

i cant say about the sturdyness, since small glass is usually pretty sturdy, but since its a two piece item, the bottle and the cap, its more prone to failure than a package, also, the bottle alone probably already costs more than the whole sachet of tabasco... and well, every cent counts when you are ordering a million units... Also, sachets are easyer to use, no shaking, no tapping the bottle, especially in a bottle so small...

My two cents is: a shame for the collectors and the ''leisure'' users of mre, but probably a improve in ease of use for the combatant and the budget
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

ladycplum78

Post by ladycplum78 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 pm

carlosflar wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm
i cant say about the sturdyness, since small glass is usually pretty sturdy, but since its a two piece item, the bottle and the cap, its more prone to failure than a package, also, the bottle alone probably already costs more than the whole sachet of tabasco... and well, every cent counts when you are ordering a million units... Also, sachets are easyer to use, no shaking, no tapping the bottle, especially in a bottle so small...

My two cents is: a shame for the collectors and the ''leisure'' users of mre, but probably a improve in ease of use for the combatant and the budget
Yeah, I can see that.

Richard w.

Post by Richard w. » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 pm

There was a problem with leaky Tabasco bottles. Pretty demoralizing to open your accessory pack, mouth watering with thoughts of doctoring up your pork chow mein, to find that all the sauce had leaked out and been absorbed into the toilet paper. 😣

They introduced a product improvement between '05 and '06 to fix this. A small gasket was put in the cap.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:07 am

RockyRaab wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:51 am
The Tabasco bottles were the best they could have tied a lead weight on them and i would still rather have that. When you are in a foreign country fighting for freedom those little reminders of home are priceless

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:09 am

Jen wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:08 am
I've had pepper sauce in the last two meals.
Pepper sauce ain't a tiny bottle of tobasco
Frank's red hot is terrible. People only use it cuz the last guy used it.

Shawn

Post by Shawn » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:12 am

carlosflar wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm

I am a combatant and a payer. The packets suck