Coffee Instant, Taster's Choice, Red Sachet White Fibrous Residue Investigation

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Mpitt

Re: Coffee Instant, Taster's Choice, Red Sachet White Fibrous Residue Investigation

Post by Mpitt » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

carlosflar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm
I have to say it, you have finally cracked the mistery of the white stuff on the tasters choice!
Now the only part of the mistery that remains is why it happens and why the tasters choice only...
Added extra caffeine maybe? :?
Thanks Carlosflar, it was fun to do. Of course, like any good scientist, I have a wildly outrageous guess which is not based on any evidence or empirical data what-so-ever. I believe this is a result of the moisture ingress into the sachet during high humidity times (summer I would guess) which pulls caffeine out of the grains and as the humidity lowers in the environment, the moisture goes away causing the re-deposition and slow gradual crystal growth over a number of years. It happens mostly with these sachets likely due to a poor sealing or foil lining allowing the moisture to diffuse into and out of the pack.

carlosflar

Re: Coffee Instant, Taster's Choice, Red Sachet White Fibrous Residue Investigation

Post by carlosflar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Mpitt wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm
carlosflar wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:51 pm
I have to say it, you have finally cracked the mistery of the white stuff on the tasters choice!
Now the only part of the mistery that remains is why it happens and why the tasters choice only...
Added extra caffeine maybe? :?
Thanks Carlosflar, it was fun to do. Of course, like any good scientist, I have a wildly outrageous guess which is not based on any evidence or empirical data what-so-ever. I believe this is a result of the moisture ingress into the sachet during high humidity times (summer I would guess) which pulls caffeine out of the grains and as the humidity lowers in the environment, the moisture goes away causing the re-deposition and slow gradual crystal growth over a number of years. It happens mostly with these sachets likely due to a poor sealing or foil lining allowing the moisture to diffuse into and out of the pack.
Well, it does make a lot of sense... If you look at how crystals of other compounds in similar conditions are formed, like with lactate crystals in cheese, what you say makes a lot of sense... The humidity would make the caffeine molecules act as if they where in solution and the decreasing in humidity would have the same effect as a rise in concentration (you reduce the solvent...), you make that over and over and changes taking place over long periods of time and getting crystals, as a result, makes all the sense in the world...

Could it also be caused due to poor drying? they dry the coffee less than ideal, package it properly and get the moisture trapped inside, and it gets released and reabsorbed with changes in pressure and temperature...
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:27 am

Wow, this went above and beyond any expectations I had. Thank you for taking to the time to perform this investigation! Initially, I was concerned that I wouldn't understand the scientific details behind it all, but you presented it so even a layman like myself could understand it.

I know I said this in a PM but it seems that it wouldn't be accurate to call it "dry molded". Maybe "crystallized" is a better term?

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 am

Thanks so much to Mpitt and SentientTootsieRoll for making this happen! Mpitt, your findings are showing us that those coffees are likely safe to drink still. And it was never mold.. but simply caffeine crystals. Wow I am just reading this and am dumbfounded by it.. just wow! My thoughts exactly Carlos.. F'ing awesome research and can always be used as reference. No longer using the lingo of dry molded - it's crystallized - so now to drinking a fair amount and to see if I get a stomach ache. Well done Mpitt - I doubt this breakthrough would have happened for quite some time without your tools of the trade here. Thank you!

AngryVeteran

Post by AngryVeteran » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 am

Thank you for that analysis MPitt. I have tried a few tasters choices with the white residue before in "fresh" MRE's.....(due to poor storage in the desert) and never got a "stomach flu" but, HOWEVER, have gotten dizzy and very lightheaded before with a reasonable bout of nausea. I didn't die from it, but I wouldn't suggest drinking yourself. Others may not have the same experiences I have had. But, I've eaten plenty of things that were stored poorly and haven't died. Maybe sick a time or two....or three :mrgreen: but I am still here. I don't know, we used to pop popcorn in front of Tropo antenna dishes. So, I think radiation tops all :mrgreen: But, good and detailed analysis and will help others in better identifying between mold and caffeine crystallization.

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 am

Thats some great investigation report Mpitt, its awesome that you took your worktime and used the awesome equipment to show us what it really is.
Its great to see an IR-spectroscopic spectrum after such a long time too.

We can maybe check the moisture ingress theory if you or someone else has an climate controlled environment chamber.

currahee

Post by currahee » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 am

Great job Mpitt. I've seen those white fibers in commercial coffee stored in original glass after it was opened for about one year. I would never thought it is caffeine!

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am

Wonderful work, good sir. I'm going to say that the new proper descriptive for this coffee is...spoiled.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Mpitt

Post by Mpitt » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

thanks everyone I appreciate the comments and I'm very happy you enjoyed seeing the results. I do want to reiterate that this does not prove that this coffee is safe to drink. It only proves that if you DO get sick, it won't be because of mold poisoning from the white residue.

michel2827
eBay name: onkelcarsten

Post by michel2827 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am

Wow, awesome. It couldn't have been more detailed than what you did with this analysis of the coffee. Thanks for the work you put into this.
Tried lots of foreign rations from Europe and Northern America. Want to try Asian and South American rations