Korean War era coffee instant, Nestle

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
AntonC98

Korean War era coffee instant, Nestle

Post by AntonC98 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm

IMG_20180702_154424_585.jpg
So I had my first taste of 1950's style Korean War era instant coffee. Produced by Nestle corporation.

I just wanted to start this thread as a spot for people to talk about their favorite or least favorite flavor profiles of instant coffee.

My experience with the Nestle instant coffee from Korean War rations was pleasant but confusing. Upon opening the packaging ( which was a little worse for ware) I realized the contents were still good enough to dissolve, fortunately for me. Upon dissolving the coffee I found it held a very pungent and acidic odor ( almost resembling that of cat urine, while it wasnt as strong as the actual odor.) Upon drinking the coffee for the first time I found it had a quite complex taste. And it was good. There was definitely an acidic overtone to the coffee that resembled it being in the process of becoming caked together. I drank about a quarter of the serving and decided to add powdered non-dairy creamer and a packet of sugar, and that was the ticket.

If you ever come to a spot where you find some Nestle brand coffee from the 1950's I'd suggest giving it a go. It was quite the experience.

Feel free to share your coffee experiences in the thread. I'd love to hear what you all have tried, liked, and disliked in your instant coffees.

Thank you all for reading!

~Anton Corch
Nothing wakes you up like some coffee instant and a nice hiss.