My 1987-1992 MREs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
jimmylegs

My 1987-1992 MREs

Post by jimmylegs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:42 am

I was in the Army from 1987-1992. Recently, my dad asked if I wanted the MRE's under the stairs at his house. I had completely forgotten them, and told him to toss them. Then I thought a second, and looked online to see if anyone might be interested in old MRE's. A quick search brought me here.

I am organizing and documenting them, preparing to see if they might be worth selling.
That toffee bar is really tempting until I realize it is 30 years old!

In the meantime, if you like old brown bag MRE's, enjoy:

spreadsheet list:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Imgur album:
https://imgur dot com/a/TrHgf
Attachments
IMG_20171217_233457.jpg
IMG_20171217_230418.jpg
IMG_20171217_195358.jpg
IMG_20171217_195352.jpg
IMG_20171217_195342.jpg

WorkmanMRE

Re: My 1987-1992 MREs

Post by WorkmanMRE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 am

Thats a dream of mine..."son do you want all my old mres!?" What a find !! Ive always wanted to open a few of those! Cheers on your score! If you want any logo artwork for a few in trade let me know! Ive drawn a lot of profile pictures and you tube page logos.
Happy Holidays!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

jimmylegs

Post by jimmylegs » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 pm

I will keep you in mind if I need a logo, Workman!
WorkmanMRE wrote:Thats a dream of mine..."son do you want all my old mres!?"
Lol, they're from when I was in the Army. It was more like "Son, come and get your crap, I'm trying to clean the house."

I saved them after I ETSed, for some reason.
I suppose a lot of veterans are still in a preparedness mode, and keep a lot of their old equipment "just in case."

I stashed them under the stairs in 1992, and forgot about them (and lots of other army equipment) until my dad started to clean stuff up.
I'm in process of getting rid of it all.

In time, you become less robust- and sleeping on the cold ground with a poncho liner
sounds like hell, and your rations are far past expiration date, and you realize you aren't prepared, you are a hoarder. And by "you" I mean "me."
This is the stage when you get rid of your field gear, and get a ballcap with a "veteran" patch and call it good.

I am having a hard time pinning down what old MREs are worth. I see what some people are asking, but not what they realistically sell for.
I think I saw a single 1990 MRE on Etsy for $25, which caused my hat to fly off my head in a cartoon-like manner. I understand that is not the going rate, but it did help me realize that I have become old, and old MREs are now viewed in the same way that I viewed C-Rations when I was a young man. A cool remnant of an earlier time.

I have seen sealed 1980's cases for over $100- huh? Anyways...

I'll keep scanning the forums, but any input or opinions on worth would be great.

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Haha i like your style! Ya you have gold there man. Brown bag treasures! Good luck, way cool.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

limp_noodle

Post by limp_noodle » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:55 pm

You can sell the cases on eBay. There's a few for sale on there so you can gauge the market value. I'd be interested in a couple of loose ones

mp43sniper

Post by mp43sniper » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:36 pm

jimmylegs wrote: I stashed them under the stairs in 1992, and forgot about them (and lots of other army equipment) until my dad started to clean stuff up.
Oh really?

If you need to dispose of any heavy ordnance, I'm your guy. :lol: Seriously, I'm an FFL/SOT (07/02) and would be interested in anything crazy but still legal.

But we are here for MRE's so I'll say those definitely bring back some memories. I had those when I did my ROTC fun stuff in the early 90's. Thanks for sharing - hope you dive into some and do some reviews too. Welcome, and Merry Christmas!

jimmylegs

Post by jimmylegs » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 pm

mp43sniper wrote:
Oh really?

If you need to dispose of any heavy ordnance, I'm your guy.
:P No, the equipment I am talking about is rucksacks, load bearing equipment, BDU's, etc. Nothing that would cause an army post to be locked down.
Heck, my company was on lockdown once when a snap link (carabiner) went missing.

Thanks for the welcome, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

jimmylegs wrote:I will keep you in mind if I need a logo, Workman!
I am having a hard time pinning down what old MREs are worth. I see what some people are asking, but not what they realistically sell for.
I think I saw a single 1990 MRE on Etsy for $25, which caused my hat to fly off my head in a cartoon-like manner. I understand that is not the going rate, but it did help me realize that I have become old, and old MREs are now viewed in the same way that I viewed C-Rations when I was a young man. A cool remnant of an earlier time.

I have seen sealed 1980's cases for over $100- huh? Anyways...

I'll keep scanning the forums, but any input or opinions on worth would be great.
If you want to sell some, I would love to see how much a couple of them would cost me as a early birthday present to myself :wink: :D
The two that I am most interested in are:
003, or the beef stew from '81
or
012, also a one from '81.
If you are willing to sell a couple that would be great! Just PM me and we can haggle over price :lol:
Cheers brother and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Thank you for your service!
-Simon Cross (15 almost 16!!) :P :shock: 8)
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.