Meal, Cold Weather

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
dermeister025

Meal, Cold Weather

Post by dermeister025 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:02 am

Hey guys, just lookin for a bit more info on the new MCW, couple things that weren't covered on that page linked to from the site.
First, what year did they first start making these? Also, does anyone know of a source for these, and approximately what they should be worth per meal? And is there anything to look out for when buying them? Thanks,

-Ed-

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:24 am

Hi Ed. MCWs are one of the things "on the list" to get updated real-soon-now. Over the past few months, I've finally been able to locate a bunch of them so I will finally have some good first-hand information.

But I'll try to answer some of your questions right now.

I think they started making the MCWs around 2001/2002. 2003 might even have been the first full production year. The best/only source for these that I've seen has been ebay. And as for their worth...well, that's in the eye of the buyer. I've seen single MCWs go for anywhere from $12 to $30. And I've seen cases go from $100 to $150 - it really depends on who's looking for them at the time and how badly they want them. IIRC, I see them up on Ebay maybe three or four times a year.

The main thing to look out for with MCWs is just to make sure you're not really buying RCWs - the older "Ration, Cold Weather" rations. Be sure that whatever auction you're looking at has a picture of the actual MCW bag or case. I'll try to get pics up real soon of what those bags and cases should look like.