Cheddar potato with artificial bacon bits spread soup mix

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Luke 1982

Cheddar potato with artificial bacon bits spread soup mix

Post by Luke 1982 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:32 pm

I just got this in a first strike ration. Cheddar potato with artificial bacon bits spread soup mix. Has anyone tried it? Is it better as a spread or soup?
Attachments
image.jpg

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Re: Cheddar potato with artificial bacon bits spread soup mix

Post by parafireboy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:51 pm

I've never prepared it as a soup, but I've had it as a spread a few times on crackers and wheat snack bread. The flavor is "OK", but I found it to be very gritty, and even when you knead it well it tends to not mix well, with some of it remaining hard and some being runny.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Post by shawker71 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I have had the same experience as Para. Steve1989 did a review and tried it both ways. Can't say I find it all that pleasant.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 pm

shawker71 wrote:I have had the same experience as Para. Steve1989 did a review and tried it both ways. Can't say I find it all that pleasant.
I've had it in the Menu 9 First Strike Ration and I was excited at first... but it did not live up to my expectations. The consistency was horrible, left a weird film in my mouth, and the artificial bacon bits flavour wasn't even good, it was like they took DollarStore bacon bits and let them go bad, and THEN put them in. Hahaha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

Luke 1982

Post by Luke 1982 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:23 pm

I had my hopes up that it would be good, now I'm not very excited. I guess I'll try it both ways and see if the soup is any better than the spread. Thanks guys

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:10 am

Luke 1982 wrote:I had my hopes up that it would be good, now I'm not very excited. I guess I'll try it both ways and see if the soup is any better than the spread. Thanks guys
I know what you mean. When it first came out I had my hopes built up that it would be awesome (how could anyone mess up cheese and bacon, right?), but sadly it didn't live up to expectations. I need to give it a fair chance and try making the soup from it though. Who knows, maybe I'll like it. Let us know what you think when you do try it.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Post by alohakid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:48 pm

BTemple wrote:
shawker71 wrote:I have had the same experience as Para. Steve1989 did a review and tried it both ways. Can't say I find it all that pleasant.
I've had it in the Menu 9 First Strike Ration and I was excited at first... but it did not live up to my expectations. The consistency was horrible, left a weird film in my mouth, and the artificial bacon bits flavour wasn't even good, it was like they took DollarStore bacon bits and let them go bad, and THEN put them in. Hahaha

BTemple - Since I purchase FSR #9 after viewing you video review, not excited about the item... in fact, prior to seeing your review, the item description itself was not appealing... unlike MREInfo purist, may or may not try it!

mahalo

Jotthedot01

Post by Jotthedot01 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:10 pm

It's not very palatable as a cracker spread but mixed with some hot water and allowed to thicken and crumble some crackers into it...pretty dang good. Hard to find component.