Best U.S MRE menu?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Trinidad Mapping 154

Best U.S MRE menu?

Post by Trinidad Mapping 154 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Because I myself never had a mre, I want to ask what is the best US mre menu you ever had?

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: Best U.S MRE menu?

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:02 am

This one and the sloppy joe menu. I also like it when they come with candy like skittles, M&Ms, Tootsie Rolls, etc.

housil

Post by housil » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:16 am

To me, there is no "a best" one. There are several I really like, some are OK and some I don´t.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 am

It's hard to pick one. Preferences can vary depending on what sounds good at the time. For me, favorites can vary depending on season as well. If I'm winter camping, chili mac always hits the spot. In summer, maybe something different. That being said, like Housil said, there are some I definitely don't like, and those that are acceptable.

If I have to list a few that I prefer overall, it would be (in random order):

- Chili and macaroni
- Southwest beef and black beans
- Meatballs in marinara sauce

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:48 am

Among my favorites are:

Southwest Beef and Black Beans
Ratatouille
Chili
Chili Mac
Beef Stew
Chicken and Noodles
Taco Filling

I also really liked the rare Alternate Menu 21 : Herb Garlic Chicken

The fairly new Vegetable Taco Pasta is also better than its name would hint. It's actually more of a veggie chili. The new Spinach Fettucini is tasty, but leads to garlic belching afterwards.

The flip side - my least faves

Chicken Fajita
Cheese tortellini
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Post by Conrad » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:01 am

parafireboy wrote:It's hard to pick one. Preferences can vary depending on what sounds good at the time. For me, favorites can vary depending on season as well. If I'm winter camping, chili mac always hits the spot. In summer, maybe something different. That being said, like Housil said, there are some I definitely don't like, and those that are acceptable.

If I have to list a few that I prefer overall, it would be (in random order):

- Chili and macaroni
- Southwest beef and black beans
- Meatballs in marinara sauce
I agree with this but would add chili with beans, and an odd one for me the beef ravioli in meat sauce.
They are all interesting to try anyway. But in my opinion the meat ones and vegetarian ones are nicer than the chicken ones, but that's because i have a particular dislike for highly processed chicken

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Amen to that. The main reason I hated the Chicken Fajita was that the "chicken" came in extruded cubes that might as well have been erasers. Just horrible. Rubbery texture and flavorless.

The rare Herb Garlic Chicken (offered as the alternative to the tuna menu) on the other hand was two-thirds of a genuine chicken breast. Real chicken meat - and absolutely delicious.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Post by noderaser » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:26 pm

I haven't had some of the more recent menus (most of the ones I've eaten are 2012 and earlier) but I quite like the Southwest Beef and Black Beans. Other classic standbys include the Beef Stew, Chili with Beans, BBQ Pork Rib, Chili Mac, and Cheese Tortellini in Tomato Sauce.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Trinidad Mapping 154

Post by Trinidad Mapping 154 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Thank you all for replying and giving your opinion on it :D

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 am

I should add that the reason the Spaghetti and Cheese Tortellini meals don't appeal to me is because my wife is half Italian - and I'm used to GOOD pasta. Those two MRE meals are "Boyardee" pasta. I suppose they're okay if that's what you're used to (for which you have my pity.)