US Ration Spoons

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
mreheater72

Re: US Ration Spoons

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Hi guys,

here is a new variation :D , a white MRE plastic spoon (unusual shape) with the printing:
CLINTON. MASS. U.S.A.
(certainly produced by the well known VAN BRODE MILLING CO., INC.):

In comparison another white spoon which is akin in shape to the "new" one, but not similar and also the printing is missing

The "new" spoon in comparison to a "usual" MRE spoon

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

housil

Post by housil » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:42 am

I remember very well that "usually" MCI spoon with that "peak" end. From where did you got it? Any ration?

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:09 pm

Hello, I wanted to show something out of my collection. Has anyone seen this before? I hadn't until last year when I got a few of these!

By the way - very cool thread! :D
Attachments
2014-02-09 02.32.45.jpg
2014-02-09 02.32.05.jpg

housil

Post by housil » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

I have a couple of these ones:
IMG_5019.JPG
IMG_5020.JPG

ElevatorFan73

Post by ElevatorFan73 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm

steve1989 wrote:Hello, I wanted to show something out of my collection. Has anyone seen this before? I hadn't until last year when I got a few of these!

Wow, those actually look really nice. Would love to have some of those in the glovebox of the car - you know, for emergencys. :lol:
*opens crackers and a horrible, bleach scent fills the room*
"Not bad."

Weko

Post by Weko » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:18 am

steve1989 wrote:Hello, I wanted to show something out of my collection. Has anyone seen this before? I hadn't until last year when I got a few of these!

I had several of those packets, use to get them from inflight box lunches, older ones also have a combination can/bottle opener in them for the juice can that came in the meal at least thru 1991

Rationblitz

Post by Rationblitz » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:06 pm

donaldjcheek wrote:For anyone interested, here is the original Quartermaster specification for the K-ration spoon. From C.Q.D No. 28G, dated 31 October 1944.

Spoon or Paddle, Wood.

The spoon or paddle shall conform to Type I of Dwg. BW-88, Spoons, Expendable, Wood. It shall be made of smooth, tightly cut veneer, and the edge shall be cleanly cut so that there is no roughness or splintered grain. The spoon or paddle shall be dried to a moisture content of not more than 4 percent at the time of manufacture and shall contain no knots, burls, bark pockets, splints or checks. Selection for color of wood is not required. The following defects will be permitted:

(1) Light stain which does not obscure the grain of the wood
(2) Birdseye or bird pecks, providing grain is not loosened to form an open defect.

The spoon or paddle shall be made of any of the following species of wood:

Birch, paper (white), sweet or yellow
Beech
Maple, sugar or black (hard), or red

The spoon shall be packaged or sealed in a suitable paper sleeve. The packaging shall be performed under modern sanitary conditions in such a manner that either the spoons are not touched by hand after the spoons have been heated to 160º F or the unit is heated after closure so that the spoons reach a temperature of 160º F.
Hi, Any chance I could get a copy of the specification, or where I could get a copy?

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a new Dining Packet, Type III (in-flight). I was at Ft. Hood, TX a few weeks ago and my group couldn't make it to the dining facility on several occasions so the host unit brought my group hot food in mermite vats. Also they provided my group with dining packets. I guess this is the newest version as compared to Housil's photo.

Seems to have more condiments and utensils in this one but doesn't feel very heavy. Also you can barely see the ends of the utensils at the very top of the packet. You can make out the knife easily but the fork and spoon seem to have a tip on each end. You can feel the utensils through the bag and the spoon seems to feel light and flimsy compared to the fork.

Strangely no dates anywhere.
Attachments
IMGP7797.JPG
IMGP7798.JPG

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Spyoons? We're collecting spyoons? Nobody ever gave a glance at the spyoon in their meal. They only cared if they got Ham and MFers or Chili and Beans.

I do in fact remember getting all three types. The short-handled ones were godawful.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:28 pm

MREheater72,

Wow, since were referencing spoons, perhaps we should start a new thread on Dining Packets/Flight Packets. Those seems to be a discussions all their own. :lol: