additional food packet to the standard MRE ?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Mirage

Post by Mirage » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:05 am

Twobravo wrote:
Just to let you all know. Those Sunmeadow Shelf Stable Meals are a joke. They cost $98 for a case of 18 of them. They have to be kept frozen too. MRE's are a much better, and can you believe, CHEAPER alternative. That's why the jacka$$ mudrfukrs don't put a price on their webpage.

I'm glad the info was brought to our attention. It looked like they may be an alternative to MRE's for my use in wildland firefighting, but not at those prices.
No wonder they're priced so high; other than the hamburger bun and the ground meat, the rest of it is all junk food and snacks. It's an insane ration to hand out - as the nutritional value will be almost nil. You'll have a fast carb-high energy boost and then your blood sugar will crash, resulting in drowsiness and poor endurance.

I can see wanting to give the guys a bit of "familiar home-style junk food" from the 7-11, but this is overkill and esp. if the price is so ridiculously expensive, plus the fact they require expensive cooled storage.

I wonder who came up with the approval to issue these? Most of the items in this "ration" can be picked up in the commissary or the on-base store, so why even have these as a "ration"?

thechip1

Post by thechip1 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:41 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that these meals are recommended for 'loss of power' use, but the meals have to be kept frozen? I guess it is good marketing, since as soon as you lose power and these meals thaw out, you have to eat them -- an then buy new ones as soon as the power comes back on!

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:16 pm

$98 for a case of 18 of them!! :evil: :evil:

Post by 223 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Wassamatta? You think $98 is to much for $25 worth of food and $10 worth of packaging?They arent priced like that to sell to you.If they had to make money on you,they would go broke. Brought to you by folks who pay $900 for a toilet seat and $400 for a hammer. 8)

Mirage

Shoot

Post by Mirage » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:35 am

For those prices, they'd be better off to buy Heater Meals. Better food, no refrigeration required, contains a main entree plus snacks and has a built-in heating pad. Decent variety of menus available - I honestly don't know why these aren't used. They can't use the excuse of "have to withstand a drop of 1,000 feet from an aircraft" or whatever the specification is. The above bag meals sure wouldn't survive a 10 foot drop, whereas these Heater Meals would at least have a bit of a chance at 10 feet.

I guess someone has a relative in the business or something similar.

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:25 am

Had a re-think of this issue, did some calculations...

$98 for case of 18 meals, therefore 1 meal = $5.44

Btw how much does a case of MRE cost? :)

Mirage

Apparently

Post by Mirage » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:48 am

DSCP lists their purchase price as $83.59/case for their fiscal year of 2005, however whether or not that is the actual price they really pay or merely one they use for their book keeping purposes I have no idea. This comes in at $6.97/MRE.

Still a better deal than paying almost $5.50 for a pack of junk food.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:19 pm

Cases of MREs can usually be found on Ebay for around $40 each. I've heard that some military bases sell MREs in the PXs but I'm not sure how much they charge there.

Twobravo

Post by Twobravo » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:34 am

bejean wrote:Had a re-think of this issue, did some calculations...

$98 for case of 18 meals, therefore 1 meal = $5.44

Btw how much does a case of MRE cost? :)
$45 shipped for the fire service here in Oklahoma.

Imon

Post by Imon » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:29 am

about the price for MREs :

at german EBAY the price for 1case MREs is about 50 EURO--->up to no end...I think 50 EUROs must be about 65 USD and thats high !
also you pay for RCW or MCW 70-80 Euro for 1 case with 6(x2) pacs.

if sunmeadow charges 98 USD for 18 pacs than its high too but in comparsion with MREs its a normal price,isnt it ?

I still pic them up in the woods thats the cheapest way... :D
you just need to walk/hike