Ameriqual???

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Rey

Ameriqual???

Post by Rey » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:34 am

Hello, I recently purchased some civilian MRE’s produced by Ameriqual which I understand does or did not produce a civilian versions of MRE’s has anyone else come across these? Also the crackers of the packs are marked Wornick. Is it usual for different manufactures to be included in the same package? One last thing, one of the entries is a HDR is it normal for HDR’s to be included in civilian MRE’s? Thanks.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:50 am

Hi Rey - welcome to the forums! Do the civilian MREs you purchased actually say they're produced by Ameriqual? I'd love to see any pictures of them that you might be able to take.

A lot of "civilian" MREs that I've seen look like they were just put together by individuals from various parts and pieces. But the Sopakco and Wornick civilian MREs look like they were put together by the actual companies.

Where did you find these MREs?

Rey

Post by Rey » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:33 am

Thanks for the welcome. I purchased these from Major surplus & Survival. (www.majorsurplusnurvival.com) The outside of the entrees are marked “distributed by: Ameriqual foods Evansville, IN.” So even if Ameriqual does not sell complete meals they would still sell individual parts? Sorry but no digital camera, still deciding which to buy.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:04 pm

Interesting stuff, Rey. I've seen those generic-looking MREs on other web sites before and I always wondered if those were from Ameriqual or not. I guess now we know.

BTW, here's a direct link to those MREs:

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Me ... y_Code=117

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:17 pm

Ok, as a followup to my last post, it looks like I read your last message wrong. I thought you said it said made by Ameriqual on the outside of the MRE bag...but now I see you just meant on the outside of the entree.

So on second thought, I'm guessing that these are just the regular "self-made MREs" that someone put together themselves using spare MRE parts. They probably aren't bad...they're probably just not "official".

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:09 pm

For your information, Wornick no longer makes a civillian MRE.

They responded to any inquiry I made as follows: "Your question about why we no longer produce civilian MREs was forwarded to me and I’ve been out of the office several days. I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. After the Y2K changeover went so smoothly, there was not much market for civilian MREs. We decided to drop the line to focus on more successful products, such as Homestyle Express and our line of White Rice and Asian flavor sauces in pouches."

Mirage

Shoot.

Post by Mirage » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:26 am

kman, remember I sent you some info on this last month? I haven't heard back from them as of yet on my query on this, but this seems to confirm my info.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:40 am

Hi Mirage - yes, I remember you mentioning this and I was hoping to hear back about what they said. But I guess Hell Devil beat us to it!

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:33 pm

I don't know how "successful" they are with the Homestyle Express meals. The entrees are similar to MRE entrees (chicken & salsa, beef stew) and are sold at a decent price $1.48 - $2.09 for a 10.5 oz entree, but Wal Mart just discontinued them. They only have a one year shelf life. I think the Dept of Defense should require them to produce a certain number of MREs for the civillian market in order to encourage people not to buy the real ones (keeping in mind, Kman, that I just purchased the first case of real MREs I've had in 10+ years through Ebay based largely on your feedback-thank you). I keep begging my friend, who's in the NY National Guard, to get me a few cases from the PX in Ft. Drum (home of the 10th Mountain Division-yeah!) next time he's there.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:48 pm

Cool stuff, Hell Devil. You'll have to let us know what you think about the MREs once you get them from ebay.