WWII and 1950's Era Pemmican emergency rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
FREMONT

WWII and 1950's Era Pemmican emergency rations

Post by FREMONT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:23 pm

I found this oldie on Ebay. The seller claims it was a US Military emergency ration. It was made by H&M Packaging Corp in Glendale, California. To be honest, I know nothing about pemmican and judging by the ingredients labeled on the side of the can it's guaranteed to be past expiration.

Have any of you guys seen this type of ration before? I haven't seen any sort of military or civil defense ration that looks like this but it could have been issued.
These two cans appear to be military issue but I am uncertain they are WWII issue.

Any thoughts about these? I would love to know more about them.
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

Name_not_found

Re: WWII and 1950's Era Pemmican emergency rations

Post by Name_not_found » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:51 pm

The cans of pemmican are from an aircraft survival kit, it also included malted milk tablets and a chocolate bar. (forget the name sorry)

They are real ration items, but the one in your images im not sure because of the color. (usually gold cans for mil, but blue and red exist im not sure if they were issued)

Date wise i want to say early 50's but i could be off

It may be edible if the can is ok, pemmican is the original survival food, fat meat and berries (sometimes seeds) its "preserved", can go rancid but still edible usually

Kind of like a jerky and fruit cake mix

Edit to add: Found an discussion on it with pics, http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... y-rations/
Last edited by Name_not_found on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Name_not_found wrote:The cans of pemmican are from an aircraft survival kit, it also included malted milk tablets and a chocolate bar. (forget the name sorry)

They are real ration items, but the one in your images im not sure because of the color. (usually gold cans for mil, but blue and red exist im not sure if they were issued)

It may be edible if the can is ok, pemmican is the original survival food, fat meat and berries (sometimes seeds) its "preserved", can go rancid but still edible usually

The first one looked commercial, the second link looked to be from the 50s and 60s. But I could be wrong. Pemmican sounds like a very hearty survival food I would love to make/buy this stuff.

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:57 pm

FREMONT wrote:
Name_not_found wrote:The cans of pemmican are from an aircraft survival kit, it also included malted milk tablets and a chocolate bar. (forget the name sorry)

The first one looked commercial, the second link looked to be from the 50s and 60s. But I could be wrong. Pemmican sounds like a very hearty survival food I would love to make/buy this stuff.

I must have clicked the top link twice, the gold cans look mil.

and its 1942 area. or earlier
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:01 pm

Name_not_found wrote:
FREMONT wrote:

I must have clicked the top link twice, the gold cans look mil.

and its 1942 area. or earlier
Thanks for the info! They look to be in nice condition too.