Modern rations are needlessly complex

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
kellywmj

Modern rations are needlessly complex

Post by kellywmj » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:12 pm

Having spent 6 years in the infantry, and some of you here have no doubt spent some time there as well, the first thing a soldier does when he is issued his rations is to "strip" them down, take what you know you will use. The main meal, the candy, and the coffee. 3 days rations(9 meals) if packed into a ruck as issued, would leave no room for anything else! Has any one here actually consumed the contents of an entire MRE or IMP in one sitting, in the field? I think not, I never did. We need a simplified no nonsense ration, no frills, just the bare bones. Any one else here feel the same way?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:10 pm

Not having been a soldier in the field, I can't really answer from that perspective - but I can offer up these thoughts:

As for field stripping rations, that makes great sense. After eating a whole MRE, I'm amazed at the amount of trash that's leftover. If you just take all the entrees and sides out of the boxes, grab the desserts and spreads and beverages you want, you can squeeze down a lot of MREs into a small space. But I think one of the reasons for packaging MREs like they do is so they'll meet the conditions the military sets. For example, IIRC, MREs have to be able to withstand a 1000' drop with no parachute. Maybe all that packaging helps absorb the shock and prevents punctures during transport.

When you talk about having simplified rations, that kind of reminded me of the MCIs (c-rations). Those were pretty simple - a can of meat, a can of fruit, a can of dessert, and some coffee/crackers. Just replace the cans with retort pouches and you'd have a pretty simple ration. But would it provide as much variety as the current MREs? I can't really say seeing as I haven't had to live on MREs for weeks at a time...I can image they can get pretty monotonous.

I have heard that Natick is working on a new "First Strike Ration" that's a more compacted ration without all the frills. Here are a couple of links about them:

http://www.momrp.org/86.htm

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123006250

paul heath

Post by paul heath » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:45 pm

Members,

Intersting topic - are rations too heavy and what is field stripped? Granted the extra cardboard is for packing and stability in drops et al.

Anyone care to comment on what would typically is field stripped?

The first strike ration looks top notch!

Paul Heath

Mirage

Interesting

Post by Mirage » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:35 am

Some good observations, one thing that caught my eye was the comment on all the unnecessary packaging, etc.

I read a comparison review that various NATO forces did on comparing different nation's rations and the US rations came last when they were rated for cleanup and sheer quantity of garbage and over-packaging.

It's interesting to note that most other forces worldwide still use cans for most of their packaging; the North American forces (US & Canada) seem to be the main users of the pouch-type meal containers - the US uses even more throw-away packaging than even Canada does however.

The German army even includes a plastic bag for cleanup in their rations, which is an actual useable item not just for garbage cleanup.

One good inclusion in the article on the First Strike Rations was an accurate caloric total for the MRE - 1200-1300 per MRE instead of the widely overblown rumored 3000+ that is so often "quoted".

Zeiti

Post by Zeiti » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 am

Never field stripped the regular german EPA.
I think the german training is way different since we always issued the EPAs to the troops in the field @ the base camp and you only take the emergency ration with you.
Well, we use no cans but heavy tray foil, wich is to a certain point flexible too.
The Bundeswehr offers some lightweight EPAS consisting freeze dried products for long range patrol and SpecOp duties.

on a sidenote: I saw a report on TV last weekend about the german medical corps, building up a hospital in Bandar Aceh, Indonesia. NOW , after almost 8 weeks our REMF´s managed it to sent forward a field kitchen & mess ! Those poor SOB´s had to dine on EPAS for 8 weeks YUCK YUCK YUCK ! So, were is Amnesty International when you need them ????
Klagt nicht, kämpft !

Zeiti

Post by Zeiti » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:17 am

The german contractor for the heavy tray foil entrees is BUSS, wich is a very well known supplier for TV meals ( as you call it in the US ??) You´ll find the stuff in every grocery store or Walmart ( yes, we do have WM in germany :P ) Some soldier tend to buy the commerical items in order to have a graeter variety in the field

Website with list of entrees ( in german )

http://www.buss.de/46_freizeit.html
Klagt nicht, kämpft !

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:57 am

Actually i dun really eat much in the field other than a hot soup or a cooked entree with noodles at night when possible. Most of the time or daytime i will only munch on biscuit fruit bars.

Cigarettes and water are far more important to us grunts. :lol:

Zeiti

Post by Zeiti » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:52 am

They should include some REAL toilet paper, or even better some wet toilet paper , single packed ( THIS was my most favorated item in the field )
Klagt nicht, kämpft !

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:49 pm

Zeiti wrote:They should include some REAL toilet paper, or even better some wet toilet paper , single packed ( THIS was my most favorated item in the field )
Heh heh..i always got a full roll in my fullpack / battlewebbing. Shitting is such a joy... :o

DangerousDave

Stripping Rats

Post by DangerousDave » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:43 pm

I guess it's a good idea if you are Light or AB Infantry. I was always Mechanized, and most of the time, we had cases on our tracks. Most of the time, at the start of an Artep, we would be told the ration issue, and get 4 MRE's for the first 2 days, and 1 Mermite(Hot, off the Deuce and a Half) Breakfast and 1 Mermite Supper, or some such combination. I never saw anyone sit down and eat a complete MRE. Then again, most everyone would sneak some Pogey Bait, on the FTX also.