WHITE BREAD can 9 OZ. with key type can opener packed 1957

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
mreheater72

WHITE BREAD can 9 OZ. with key type can opener packed 1957

Post by mreheater72 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi guys,

the following photos show a 9 OZ. can of WHITE BREAD packed 1957. If have more of that 9 OZ. cans in my collection, but that is the only one with a key type can opener. The last three pics give a comparison between the 9 OZ. can and a 1.75 OZ can (DoP 1960) of WHITE BREAD, both packed by AMERICAN BREAD COMPANY:

So long mreheater 72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

housil

Re: WHITE BREAD can 9 OZ. with key type can opener packed 19

Post by housil » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:16 am

Have you ever opened one of these canned breads?

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:54 am

I too wonder what the contents look like.

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 pm

housil wrote:Have you ever opened one of these canned breads?
cavguy wrote:I too wonder what the contents look like.
I still have never opened one of that "WHITE BREAD" cans. Consistently I have never seen the contents neither in real nor on a photo. Mr. "Bausenwein" describes the bread the following way (see here http://www.c-ration.com/pages/c-ration.php scroll down to the "WHITE BREAD" picture):

"Das White Bread ein Weißbrot in einem Klumpen,habe ich nie gesehen das ein Amerikaner es gegessen hat.Diese Dosen wenn wir sie im Wald nach dem Abrücken der GI's fanden waren immer voll.Uns als Kinder schmeckten sie ganz besonders mit der Erdnußbutter."

Rough translation :) : "I have never seen that one US soldier has eaten that clump of bread. The time we found the cans after US FTX in the woods, they were always closed. As kids we like to eat the bread especially with peanut butter.”

Here the "WHITE BREAD" is described as “dreaded, impervious” (btw nice coffee cup):
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... offee-cup/

I have to check the stocks of "WHITE BREAD“ in my colletion. If I will found a can in bad condition I will open it and show the contents here. I hope you show understanding, those cans are collectibles in my opinion, so it is hard to me to open one.

I guess the "vintage" canned "WHITE BREAD" is the predecessor of our "modern" "WHEAT SNACK BREAD" :) !

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Cool find - I haven't seen the white bread in a 9oz can before!

I'd open a can, but I only have one or two at the moment (1.75oz ones) so I'd rather not. I'm sure we can guess what bread looks like :mrgreen: If mreheater72 wants to open a can in less than perfect shape though I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

SierraTangoDelta

Post by SierraTangoDelta » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:52 pm

I'm super-curious about what this looks like. Let us know if you open it!
They may take our lives.... But they will never take,.. OUR NUTCAKE

Man... this Bev. Base tastes soapy.

ThatguyLooking

Re: WHITE BREAD can 9 OZ. with key type can opener packed 1957

Post by ThatguyLooking » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:17 am

Would love to get my hands on one of these! Very nice!

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:38 am

mreheater72 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:39 pm
housil wrote:Have you ever opened one of these canned breads?
cavguy wrote:I too wonder what the contents look like.
I still have never opened one of that "WHITE BREAD" cans. Consistently I have never seen the contents neither in real nor on a photo. Mr. "Bausenwein" describes the bread the following way (see here http://www.c-ration.com/pages/c-ration.php scroll down to the "WHITE BREAD" picture):

"Das White Bread ein Weißbrot in einem Klumpen,habe ich nie gesehen das ein Amerikaner es gegessen hat.Diese Dosen wenn wir sie im Wald nach dem Abrücken der GI's fanden waren immer voll.Uns als Kinder schmeckten sie ganz besonders mit der Erdnußbutter."

Rough translation :) : "I have never seen that one US soldier has eaten that clump of bread. The time we found the cans after US FTX in the woods, they were always closed. As kids we like to eat the bread especially with peanut butter.”

Here the "WHITE BREAD" is described as “dreaded, impervious” (btw nice coffee cup):
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... offee-cup/

I have to check the stocks of "WHITE BREAD“ in my colletion. If I will found a can in bad condition I will open it and show the contents here. I hope you show understanding, those cans are collectibles in my opinion, so it is hard to me to open one.

I guess the "vintage" canned "WHITE BREAD" is the predecessor of our "modern" "WHEAT SNACK BREAD" :) !

So long mreheater72
I mean, the bread itself isnt very collectible, so long as you open it for display it ought to be just as collectible (and nothing to rot inside!)
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

blue87fj60

Re: WHITE BREAD can 9 OZ. with key type can opener packed 1957

Post by blue87fj60 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:41 am

No where near as valuable as a collectible as an empty can. Especially the big can being so rare.