What's happening to our MREs?!!!

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
signalfreq
inactive

What's happening to our MREs?!!!

Post by signalfreq » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:14 pm

Well, as history would have it, whenever we just start to do something good, someone else has to come in and ruin things......

Has anybody noticed the rapidly depleting Tabasco sauce bottles? Seems like they used to come in EVERY MRE.... now I have to hunt someone down who doesn't want theirs.... No MRE should be complete without it !! Sometimes, you just wanna kill the taste of all those preservatives.

Oh, and "Country Captain Chicken"?? Are you serious?! I wonder who all is responsible for THAT one.... :)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:06 pm

Hi signalfreq - welcome to the forums!

You aren't kidding about them taking the tobasco sauce out - it looks like they started doing that in 2002 and now it's the point where only 16 out 24 menus have it in there. Sure...some others have picante sauce or bbq sauce - but if anything, they should have *increased* the amount of tobasco sauce they include. The right amount of tobasco will make any MRE edible.

And you are right on the money about the Country Captain Chicken. I know some people like it, but to me it's just nasty, nasty, nasty. I hear the words "country captain chicken" and I think "spawn of satan". :-)

ranger0770
inactive

Post by ranger0770 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:45 pm

An MRE is not an MRE without that old standby of tabasco. I hope that they get enough input from the field to reinstitute the tabasco bottle in all the menus. Its good stuff! Also, I also agree about the country captain chicken. One of the worst entrees I have tried. Definitely needs to be replaced. I'm also in facor of more cheese spreads in the MRE menus. Although the PB and Jelly are fine, my taste leans more to cheese. Whenever I get one, I prize it highly. Nothing against Dave who praises this item, but I'm not overly impressed with the wheat snack bread and prefer the crackers actually. Just my subjective 2 cents.

Keith

jenndolari

Post by jenndolari » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:19 pm

I actually liked the Country Captain Chicken. Was pretty good. So far I haven't really had an MRE I didn't like (although the dairy shakes are quickly piling up in the corner).

And I've got tons of tobasco bottles, too. :D My roomie collects, them, and I hardly ever use them. He's hit the motherlode.
Not All Warriors Are Called "Sir!"
Closetspace - http://www.dolari.org/cs
A Wish for Wings - http://www.dolari.org/awfw

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:24 pm

I don't think the Country Captain Chicken is bad at all. Not my first choice, but nothing I would run away from. I had the Mexican Mac & Cheese this past weekend which I thought was great. Those dairy shakes are awesome though. Really creamy and flavorful.

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:51 am

Its beyond me why they can't just give more seasoning packs/bottles to all the rations in the world.

In my country, our SAF ration got no season at all. Unless u wanna add that 3-in-1 coffee pack to the entree. :twisted:

Anyway i mean how difficult it is to add in packets of hot sauce, tomato sauce and even worchester sauce into the ration accessories packet?