The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

kman
Site Admin

Re: Salmonella Poisoning Prompts MRE Dairy Shake Recall

Post by kman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:07 am

It looks like on July 7, 2009, Transpackers (the company who produces most (all?) of the MRE Dairy Shakes) issued their own recall. Interestingly enough, they have specific lots numbers/dates from 2007-2009, as opposed to the DSCP "Do Not Consume" order, which affected all 2002-2009 dairy shakes:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm171020.htm
Trans-Packers Services Corp. Recalls Dairy Shake Blends Because of Possible Health Risk

Company Contact:
Trans-Packers Services Corp.
718-963-0900

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – July 7, 2009 – Trans-Packers Services Corp. of Brooklyn, NY, is recalling approximately 6,300 packets (net wt. 100 g) of Dairy Shake blends because such blends contain instant non-fat dry milk manufactured by the Plainview Milk Products Cooperative. Plainview has recently commenced a voluntary recall of instant non-fat dry milk and other ingredients that have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria.

Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.

Trans-Packers has not received any reports of illness related to the Dairy Shake blend. The product affected by this recall includes single-serve packets of Dairy Shake blend packaged in a preformed barrier pouch, which were distributed through Emergency Essentials, Inc. and Saratoga Trading Company located in Orem, Bluffdale and Saratoga Springs, Utah.

The particular blends and affected lot numbers are:

* 6,000 packets of Strawberry/Banana Flavor Dairy Shake lot # 8324,
* 200 packets of Vanilla Flavor Dairy Shake lot # 9132 and
* 100 packets of Strawberry Dairy Shake lot # 7225.

Consumers who have any of the Dairy Shake blends from the affected lot numbers should not consume the product; and are urged to destroy such product.

Consumers with questions may contact Trans-Packers at 1-718-963-0900 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern time.

For more information on Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s website at http://www.cdc.gov.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:26 am

I'm checking this since I have a bunch of them.... :shock:
TransPackers
Lot #
#5284 Strawberry shake
#6177 , #7131 } Vanila shakes...

Is only Trans Packers the one affected or they are others, like Jianas Brothers??? :roll:

Peace!
8)
"Live long and prosper..."

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 am

I recall visiting Trans-Packers factory.

See thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1616&hilit=trans+packers
P1010062.JPG
Trans-Packers
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:37 am

Looks like Trans-Packers has expanded their recall to include 300 more Dairy Shake packets that were sold to civilian stores such as EmergencyEssentials.com (BePrepared.com):

Trans-Packers Services Corp. Expands Its Recall of Dairy Shake Blends Because of Possible Health Risk

Trans-Packers Services Corp.
(718) 963-0900

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - July 13, 2009 - Trans-Packers Services Corp. of Brooklyn, NY, has added 300 packets to its July 7, 2009 recall of 6,300 packets (net wt. 100g) of Dairy Shake blends. Such Dairy Shake blends contain instant non-fat dry milk manufactured by the Plainview Milk Products Cooperative, which recently commenced a voluntary recall of instant non-fat dry milk and other ingredients that have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella bacteria. The 300 additional packets were sold to a company in Tennessee.

Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. Trans-Packers has not received any reports of illness related to the Dairy Shake blend.

The product affected by this recall includes single-serve packets of Dairy Shake blend packaged in a preformed barrier pouch, which were distributed through Emergency Essentials, Inc. and Saratoga Trading Company located in Orem, Bluffdale and Saratoga Springs, Utah and D&B Specialty Foods, Inc. in Johnson City, Tennessee.

The particular blends and affected lot numbers are:

* 6,000 packets of Strawberry/Banana Flavor Dairy Shake lot # 8324
* 300 packets of Chocolate Flavor Dairy Shake lot ## 8297 and 8318
* 200 packets of Vanilla Flavor Dairy Shake lot # 9132
* 100 packets of Strawberry Dairy Shake lot # 7225

Consumers who have any of the Dairy Shake blends from the affected lot numbers should not consume the product; and are urged to destroy such product.

Consumers with questions may contact Trans-Packers at 1-718-963-0900 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern time

Hardtack

Post by Hardtack » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I got loose Dairyshakes with date codes starting with 5000 range and 1 in 6000 range. They are marked as made by Jianas Brothers Packaging Company. Kansas City, MO 64108. Are they part of the recall? I guess so since the recommendation was all dairy shakes? Would they just be a packager and not a manufacturer of the product in the package?

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:00 am

Hardtack wrote:I got loose Dairyshakes with date codes starting with 5000 range and 1 in 6000 range. They are marked as made by Jianas Brothers Packaging Company. Kansas City, MO 64108. Are they part of the recall? I guess so since the recommendation was all dairy shakes? Would they just be a packager and not a manufacturer of the product in the package?
The Army recommanded as precaution not to consume ANY diary shake (2002-2009).
Trans-Packers having their own recall for their own diary shakes.

As long as the source of contamination isn´t found, I guess a good decision to dump all as precaution. :cry:

mursu

Post by mursu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Is there anything new about the recall? Still all shakes banned? :cry:

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 pm

I only have some strawberry 4104 left..

Salmonella isn't that dangerous.. there about 2000 kinds of salmonella, only some are dangerous. 99% of them only causes common food poisoning.. Not that dangerous, unless your pregnant, old, very ill already etc. The only dangerous variant is Salmonella Typherium.. it's a form that is immune to anti biotics. The otherones are simply countered with a some antibiotics.

I'm still consuming mine.. if someone in europe still has some "bad" batches left, I'd happy to have them..

The only thing I'm confused about is, that salmonella is a faecal micro organism >> a so called shit germ.. they live in the guts of (mostly) herbi and omnivores.. especially birds. Most salmonella contaminations are caused by improper slaughtered chicken.. (the organs get damaged > faeces leak out) or raw eggs, contaminated by faeces on the eggshell..

But.. the only animal product in the shake is milk.. non fat dry milk..
So.. milk that got heated (sterilised.. ) and then freeze dried.. how in hell can there be faecal bacteria in a dairy shake.. :shock:

I know there can be contamination in the dairy cow stables.. with the (don't know how to properly call it english) cowtitties.. and cow dung.. But, even then, the farmer always "wipes" the cowtitties before milking.. (the price of milk depends on the quality; bacteria count, antibiotics count, and the "milk" ingredients.. more proteines make it more worthfull)
So "wiping" it causes it to be less off a "source" so there is only a small amount of it in a laaarge container of milk.

The milk gets processed, sterilised (fully cooked.. not pasteurised) and freezedried.. between those steps you have atleast 4 quality controls. The X resemles a control

cow X milking machine X dairy processing plant (to check the quality) X sterilising X freezedrying/packing.. and maybe after that..

Ofcourse those are all simple "checks" and not per pack, but per batch.. hope it wasn't sabbotage. There were more cases of it in europe.. with civil food companies though, with blackmailing. They simply mess up some stuff to make them recall it.. and hope for money. There were 2 major cases in the Netherlands with the Campina company I believe. Once with someone doing something in the production proces, and someone that poisoned deserts in the supermarket (bought some, cut it open nicely, repacked it.. put it back in the shelve)
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

MAVERICK_SS
eBay name: mavericksd1988

Post by MAVERICK_SS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Hi,

I am looking for an advice from you. Finally I got my hands on my first MRE (Menu 21 - Tuna) and as you all know in this menu there is a strawberry-banana shake. On it I have these numbers and letters: JBP 8210 4. My question is: should I consume it or throw it away? I am in a dilemma because if these numbers are the batch number of the shake then I am in the "safe zone" although there is a recommendation not to consume any shakes...

Please give me an advice.

Best wishes,

MAVERICK_SS