22%
Heated - using a microwave
11%

Total votes: 27

kman
Site Admin

Poll: How do you eat your entrees?

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:31 pm

The subject says it all - how do you eat your entrees? Cold? Hot? If hot, how do you heat them?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:39 pm

As you may have picked up, I'm an MRE-purist. While I know MREs almost always taste better when they're heated up, there's just something about eating them cold that appeals to me. Maybe it's the same thing that drives me to eat spam (turkey spam!) cold, too.

But if you absolutely have to have the luxury of hot MREs, then the FRH should be used. Of course, situations will arise in which you won't be able to use the FRH and in that case, boiling water is ok.

But microwaving. Those people need help. :-)

As for the fourth option, other, I've heard of a couple different ways - leaving the entree in the sun for a while for one (thanks to DirtyDave for that suggestion) and also placing it in hot tap water. I've done the hot tap water thing...it's not as good as boiling but at least it makes it a little warm.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:28 pm

Like Sergeant Reveron told me, "cold is good". I prefer the TrueTech heaters made in Riverhead, NY. Boiling the unopened packet in H2o works also.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Kman, I can use the MRE heaters very well now, but I would just rather wait 1min instead of the required 10min to heat up my entree and side if need be. I am so impatient sometimes. I would be the guy in the field who would throw the MRE entree into the barrel of a just shot off M1 Abrahms to heat it up quicker as well or put it in the engine block of my armored humvee while I run over Iraqui Insurgents... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Post by 223 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:01 pm

Tried all those. Dont like the boiling ater method. Have put the stripped package on an engine block.

Usually if they are room temperature I will eat them cold. Otherwise nuke em or flameless.

I picked up some flameless heaters,as I mostly buy just entrees.

kellywmj

Post by kellywmj » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:12 pm

We never had flameless heaters, but instead used hexamine tommy cookers, boiling the bagged entree in a canteen cup until warm, which also gives you shaving water at the same time.

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Re: Poll: How do you eat your entrees?

Post by RGoodellSr » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm

1) If I have access to boil water, it's my preferred method

2) FRH is my choice when boiling isn't available

3) I'll eat it cold if I have to, no problem

And then it depends if I'm heating for a video review, I try to use only MRE-provided options when possible
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell