Nice Forum. Just logged on.

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
DangerousDave

Nice Forum. Just logged on.

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:03 pm

Hey Kman. I'm Dave from VA that sent you 2 green Aussie rat papers. I've only eaten about 2 cases of fresh MRE's since October, thru the hunting season. I got 5 cases of Ameriqual packed in 3 to 5, 2003 from my source in Fayettville last October. I'll probably get some more in April. Good work and take care.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:10 pm

Hi Dave. It's great to see you on the forum! And thanks again for that Aussie menu. I have it all scanned in and it's going to be the main feature on my soon-to-be-released Australian rations page.

Those sound like some pretty fresh MREs you have - what did you think of all the new parts? Another forum member, DIRTYDAVE, and I have been wondering about the Mexican Macaroni and Cheese.

And out of curiosity, what have you been paying for MREs? We're always on the lookout for good deals.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:54 pm

I have 2 sources in Fayetteville, one sells them for 35/case, and the other, believe it or not, 20/case. I have'nt seen the macaroni/cheese thing. I think the mashed potatoes are excellent. the halapeno cheese is excellent, I've always been a cheese/cracker freak anyway. Not much on the sweets, like the M&M cookies, other cookies, M&Ms and Skittles and such. The slim jim brand beef jerkys and the packaged lorna doones, austin brand nabs, etc are a pretty good idea. Especially to all our younger people over in Iraq. I don't care for the wheat snack breads, but they are OK. My brother calls them "soft-tac", as they resemble our Civil War hard-tac. Later, Dave

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:00 pm

Hey Dave - that's a pretty good price on the MREs. DIRTYDAVE and I recently ran into a deal for $25 a case but $20 a case is even better. Any chance your source would be open to doing business with a fellow North Carolinian?

"soft-tac"...that's pretty funny. I've done some reading on hard-tack and even made it once myself. It's not so bad right after it's cooked, but I suppose after you let it sit for a while and it gets nice and rock hard, you can't exactly bite into it anymore. The stuff I made, I tried to let it sit for a while but I must have done something wrong (too much water in the mix? not enough baking?) because after a week, it started to get moldy.

For those of you you haven't seen/heard of hard-tack before, it's just flour and water. Mix the flour with just barely enough water to make it into a thick dough. The press it flat, maybe 1/4 inch, cut it into two-inch squares, and use a fork to make a little grid pattern on it (to make it easier to break up later). Then put it in the oven on low heat - something like 200 degrees - and bake the crap out of it - as long as it takes to burn out all the water. Then "in theory", you should be able to store it for a long time without it going bad.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:45 pm

Hey Dave, I would be interested in a couple things. Those MRE's for $20 a case most importantly. I would like to get about 5 cases right away. I would also be interested in taking all of your wheat snack bread off of you as I love it, especially with the cheese spread.

Kman, I have eaten the Mexican chili mac. Since you pointed out it was in that new meal from our new case of MREs we picked up I do remember eating it and thinking it was ok. That meat is a little smelly, like dog food kind of smelly, but just hold your nose and it is ok.

Hope to hear from you Dangerous Dave on those MREs for that sweet deal!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:03 pm

Is there a new macaroni/cheese side? I think I read that somewhere. I've eaten the Chilimac main. The newest sides I've seen/ate is the mashed potatoes. If you are in Florida, I'd suggest going to towns around Ft. Stewart or Hunter Army Airfield, and see if there are any surplus shops there. I never been to Florida. Maybe around the AF bases also. Mom and Pop surplus shops in towns around our military installations are the best place to locate fresh mre's.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:07 pm

DangerousDave - yes, there's a new macaroni and cheese side - they call it Mexican Macaroni and Cheese - it's in menu #8 of the 2004 MREs:

MENU 8
Beef Patty
Nacho Cheese Pretzels
Macaroni & Cheese, Mexican
Cheese Spread w/Bacon
Wheat Snack Bread (2)
BBQ Sauce
Beverage Base
Hot Sauce

DangerousDave

To Kman

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:12 pm

Whenever I get a few cases, they tend to disappear, so I don't have any to sell. Next time I head down 95 to F-Ville, I'll let you know. I usually call 1 of my sources, and have them call me back when they get enough cases to make a 200+ mile 1 way trip worthwhile. 8)

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:17 pm

The last Beef Patty I opened had all that, but not the macaroni. I think the idea of the 2 breads, and cheese pac, is one should make a makeshift "cheeseburger". I did that once, was'nt that swell. I'd rather, eat the patty, and have crackers and cheese on the side. but thats just me.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:23 pm

I'm with you, DangerousDave - I don't see how that wheat bread and beef patty sandwich is supposed to work. I figure once you squeeze on the cheese and bbq sauce and then bite into it, everything will get squeezed out.

But DirtyDave has done this and he says it worked fine - right Dave?