"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:57 am

Don't forget this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=60

You can view/download the cookbook here:

http://vietnamresearch.com/manuals/crats/mre.html

Or if you're in the military, you should be able to write the Tobasco people (can't spell the name - check the "cookbook" threads for the details) and they'll send you one for free.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:33 pm

Hey guys,
I have another bit of crazy information from long ago. I remember about 1993-4 there was a MRE cookbook that came out. It was entitled "Canteen Cup Cookery". The authors were a former Marine and a former Army Ranger that got together and put together these really delicious reciepes about MRE's. Now I've viewed the MRE cookbook and C'rat ones here on this forum but this publication was kind of off the wall and sometimes popped up at local Army surplus stores.
I did manage to get one at that time but since has been buried in the mountain of junk at my house. I don't remember the names of the authors but back then they still had the old brown versions and each page was a different style of how to prepare one. Plus of course lots of extra tips of eating while camping, hiking, marching, etc. So for us young bucks back then taking a little extra something into the field to spice up a bland, boring , MRE was critical. Of course I also remember them giving virtures on a small lightweight stove, cooking pot and lots of TOP Ramen. Why TOP ramen....I don't know. :? If I find it I'll post the results and and some reciepes for all to share and hopefully it's still in circulation. :D

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:44 pm

That'd be cool if you can find that when you get back, Treesuit. If you don't have the time, I'd be happy to scan it in and post it for you.