Why doesn't the US have a 24hr ration?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
NightSniper

Why doesn't the US have a 24hr ration?

Post by NightSniper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Well why not? It seems that many countries have 24 hours rations for the troops. I guess I figured that the US would have one.

Also it appears many countries have rations that will feed several people instead of single ration packs. Again why don't we? Is it due to differrent pacakging that would have to be produced? Or space that would would be taken up by these bigger meals? Or is it just easier to give out MRE's.

Just curious.

MCIera

Re: Why doesn't the US have a 24hr ration?

Post by MCIera » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:32 pm

NightSniper wrote:Well why not? It seems that many countries have 24 hours rations for the troops. I guess I figured that the US would have one.
The LRP is intended to be a restricted calorie 24 hour ration. With regards to MREs, warfighters are often issued rations daily and may be fed one meal from a base or field kitchen from group rations.
NightSniper wrote:Also it appears many countries have rations that will feed several people instead of single ration packs. Again why don't we?
You mean like these?

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Because us Americans are overpaid, over sex'ed and over fed. Actually, I believe the FSR is a 24 hr. rat. Still unable to get my hands on one. 8) :)

Baldy

Post by Baldy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 am

My guesses:

A) Tradition dating back to at least WW2. It's what troops expect and it's enshrined in logistics doctrine. And if it ain't broken....
B) Single meal packs provide more scope for variety, and this can be supported in a force the size of America's military.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Baldy, (baldy baldy baldy), You are right. I've et a few Aussie rats.The only thing I liked was the can of cheese, and the vegemite, of course. Why do they include so much guts in the the entree's. When I want to eat spaghetti or Dutch style Beef stew, I like meat,not gristle. :?

Baldy

Post by Baldy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:55 pm

Dave, I've never had the 'Dutch style beef stew' but the grossest thing I ever ate in a ratpack was the 'Luncheon Meat Type 2' from the '80s - now that was just gristle, bland and overly salty. I suspect it was included to remind us of what our convict ancestors ate in the 18th century. :wink:

However, some of our main meals ain't bad (at least they weren't when I was in uniform). The beef with tortellini, corned beef hash and lamb with rosemary & veg were the highlights of the 1 man packs.

bondiboy66

Post by bondiboy66 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:47 am

Baldy I concur...Luncheon Meat Type 'Eleven' *shudders*...
This message has been transmitted using recycled electrons. Go Green and save the planet!

housil

Re: Why doesn't the US have a 24hr ration?

Post by housil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 am

NightSniper wrote:Well why not? It seems that many countries have 24 hours rations for the troops. I guess I figured that the US would have one.

Also it appears many countries have rations that will feed several people instead of single ration packs. Again why don't we? Is it due to differrent pacakging that would have to be produced? Or space that would would be taken up by these bigger meals? Or is it just easier to give out MRE's.

Just curious.
Due to oliv-drab.com
The C ration, with a caloric value of 3700, was intended for operational needs of three to twenty-one days. This ration resulted from pre-World War II attempts to produce a stable, palatable, nutritionally balanced combat ration which would provide the individual soldier with three full meals per day.

The first rations (1939/40) were just to big/heavy and they start to "strip down"
"...As a result of the field recommendations, the 16-ounce can was abandoned and a 12-ounce can adopted as the standard size for the ration. The number of biscuits in the B unit also was reduced and chocolate and soluble coffee added..."

I guess, it´s a mixture of (war) expirience and "tactics philosophy".

Back in WWII, US-troops never had a supply problem, maybe some "inconvenience" (Battle of the Bulge) but no really problem!
As the German Wehrmacht was short in supply, they intend to give every one as much as possible until today.
Give a soldier a 24hrs rations means you don´t have take care for him for the next 24hrs. Give him just a single ration, means you have take care for him three times a day.

Rations have a different weight:
German EPa = ~1700g
French RCIR = ~ 1600g
UK rat pack = ~ 1500g
all by ~ 3500 cal.

One MRE = ~800g but you will need three MREs to equal one 24hrs ration = 2400g :shock:

So US soldiers in Afghanistan start "ration stripping" so they don't have so much to carry as they set out on a mission.

These reports alarmed food technologists at the U.S. Army Soldier Systems Center at Natick, Mass, who recognized that warfighters weren't simply tossing aside "luxury" items like flameless heaters and Tabasco sauce. Janice Rosado from the Defense Department's combat feeding program said troops were also leaving half of their food behind, losing half the nutrition and calories packed into their MREs at a time when their bodies needed them most.

That´s why they intend now the First-strike-Ration. First-strike rations are lighter and more compact than standard MREs. A single pouch holds a full day's food supply and weighs about 21/2 pounds. By comparison, three MREs weigh in at about 2 pounds heavier.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsart ... x?id=27599

A First-strike ration is nothing than an "ordinary" 24hrs disposal ration with a "spectacular" name.

Next (minor) thing are food habits.
We have our "continental breakfast" with whole-grain bread, jam/pate/cheese, tea/coffee etc. At France they prefer a hugh mug of coffee (au lait) and just some crackers (as croissant aren´t rationable yet. Yet! :wink: )
UK´s have their bags with e.g. beans w/ tomatoes ...

I can´t imagine to have porc rib, spaghetti etc. for breakfast :shock: as it is "unusual" for US soldiers to have a continetal breakfast.

But that just my opinion :!:

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:24 am

I agree Housil,

Weight can be an issue with the MRE's. Personally I like the MRE's for it''s variety, to prevent 'ration fatigue' I guess they came up with 24 different menu's.

For the EU rats, the breakfasts are a plus. But hé, they made to meet our habits out here.

Nawt.