CAJUN CLARA

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
DIRTYDAVE

CAJUN CLARA

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:56 pm

I guess the flood put her out of business. I don't see her selling MREs on there anywhere. I hope she is okay, but then she is probably out there just stockpiling the hell out of those 36 million MREs. Probably buying warehouse space and trying to negotiate with people to give her their MREs. What do you think kman?
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:38 pm

Well, on the one hand, I hate to think that anything bad would happen to someone who I used to see every day on Ebay. But on the other hand...provided she's doing ok...once she gets back on ebay, she's going to have an endless supply of MREs and she'll continue selling them for $50/case (out of my range)...and on top of that SHE'LL PROBABLY STILL BE TYPING IN ALL CAPS! :-)

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:42 pm

Hey guys,
Has anybody done any price shopping for MRE's since the hurricane? Have the prices gone up or down since the military distribution? Just want to see where the market is going to swing.
thanks

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi Treesuit. I've usually do price shopping for MREs on ebay every day. :-) I mostly keep track of what the buy-it-now prices are but every once in a while, I take a look to see what the regular auctions close at. You can always go in there yourself and do an advanced search on completed items to see what they've been closing at for the past 30 days.

So here's how I see things right now:

Right after the hurricane hit, people went MRE crazy on ebay. I'm guessing they saw the devastation from the storm, heard about MREs on TV and decided they had to have some right away. That trend seems to still be going on and because of that, MRE prices are inflated right now. We've seen some crazy closing prices - like $80 for a single case.

Keep in mind...I consider $40 + actual shipping to be an average MRE deal on ebay. It's been that way for the past four years and only goes up and down based on hurricanes/times of war.

But back to prices right now. Regular auctions seem to be closing around $50 or even higher plus shipping. Some of those include grossly inflated shipping ($30 per case to me when it only costs $10). The buy-it-now's seem to run from $45-$50 with maybe a few $40 here and there. But more and more people are starting to do fixed price shipping of $20 and that's usually a bad deal for me seeing as actual shipping is usually $10-$15 when they're from the South.

After the panic-buying subsides, I expect prices to do what they've done the past couple of years after storms - they'll stay the same and then gradually drop back closer to the $40 range and they'll stay there for a while. But after that, the fun begins...

After the prices stabilize, more and more cases of MREs wil start flooding onto ebay - cases from all the people who stockpiled them from the handouts in LA and MS. They'll take a look at ebay, see them selling for $50/case and jump right in, too. And then all of sudden, you'll have tons of MREs selling for average or higher prices and they'll get harder and harder to sell.

And then a few bright individuals will start offering their MREs for $35/case and they'll sell out real quick. Their competition will see that and sell theirs for $30...and on and on until it hits about $25/case. When I see the guy selling MREs for $25/case (or $20!) and he's within a 12 hour drive of me, I'm loading up. :-)

Those are my predictions, at least. I could be wrong...and in that case, I'll be holding out for nothing. But there's a shitload of MREs out there right now and I'm pretty sure a whole bunch are going to come flooding back onto Ebay within the next 3-6 months.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:14 am

I MISS CAJUN CLARA.... :lol:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:20 pm

Don't worry, DirtyDave....she's back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-A-VERY-NEWEST- ... dZViewItem

(even her ebay URLS are annoying)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:52 pm

Damn, she has 2005 Menus and she jacked up the price...that biotch! Now I don't miss her... :evil:

Rey

Post by Rey » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Buy it now at $60. Too much for me.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:52 pm

Don't get your hopes up for low prices from Cajun Clara. She might go high everyone once in a while when she thinks she can score on demand, but it seems like she'd rather post 50 auctions that don't sell than ever dip below that $45/case price.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:46 pm

Guys,
I just took alook at that link on ebay. I'm glad I get them free over here. That's too much to ask for even for me. :shock: