Thanks for the old advice, got 2 cases now!

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
GigaBuist
inactive

Thanks for the old advice, got 2 cases now!

Post by GigaBuist » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:40 pm

I finally ordered up a couple of cases, and I've downed two entrees at this point. Still haven't messed much with the other components, but that chocolate bar thing was pretty good I thought.

I'll probably be sucking 1 MRE down per day for the next few days to see if they do anything whacky to my diestive system. I'm preparing for a 120 mile cycling trip over a 2 day period (and I'm not a cyclist!) and I'm planning on taking MREs for food. Need to find out 1st hand if they're going to mess with me in any way.

So far I'm fairly impressed. Had the beef stew and chicken cavatelli so far. Ate the beef stew cold, ate the chicken warmed up with the heater.

My cohorts are also not cyclists, and they'll be hopping off the trail for fast food and liquids here and there it seems. Should be interesting if I fare any better with my plan of taking all my food in MREs on my back with a couple water bottles and a walter filtration/purification system.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:02 am

Hey gigabuist, I will be looking forward to reading the details of your cycling trip. 120 miles for a non-cyclist can put you in a world of hurt. It sounds to me like you are heading into HELL similiar to combat. The MREs should be right up your alley...LOL!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

truzoom

Post by truzoom » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:04 am

VERY good idea to use MREs on a cycling trip. You'll be burning calories/carbs fast so they'll be just right. I'm sure you've already read it on here, but avoid the country captain chicken!

GigaBuist
inactive

Post by GigaBuist » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:20 am

I'm actutally totally bummed that I don't have any of the Captain's Country Chicken! I love curry dishes.. so I figured I might be one of the few that didn't find it revolting. If I did.. oh well.

DirtyDave, you're pretty close to that "close to combat" strain than you think I bet. In the wake of Katrinia my plans to prepare for SHTF evacuations just got ratched up a WHOLE bunch, and I realized I'd have to be able to "bug out" without hitting the roads. I've got a location that's about 40 miles away that would work for long term living, but that's by the roads. Going cross-country is much harder (to avoid officials and road blocks) so I'm figuring if I can haul 120 miles on a bike trail with full BOB gear in 2 days I'll be able to get back to home base in 3 days no problem; provided no two legged creatures get in my way.

Good way to test my gear I figure. I've done plenty of "car camping" out in the middle of nowhere where I managed to put everything but food and beverage into the BOB before, so having the MREs now and the water filtration kinda puts the nail in the coffin.

Just gotta make sure I can haul the crap around on the Huffy!