knockoff MRE's as emergency rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
pellaken
inactive

knockoff MRE's as emergency rations

Post by pellaken » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:16 am

I'm looking to make purhcase of some emergency rations (after katrina I figure it's good to be prepared) but the information on where to get MRE's, IMP's (canaidan MRE's) or even commercial MRE's which ship to canada, or any other kind of "emergency meal substitutes" avilable in canada is highly lacking. Can someone point me in the right direction?

please note I dont trust the internet for financial transactions, so I'd need to either pay by phone, or money order

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:41 am

Here is the current list of MREs and other rations on sale on ebay. Just look for those who accept money orders/checks and who will ship to Canada. There are a lot of choices there and you should be able to find someone who can accomodate you. This is where I buy all of my MREs.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

pellaken
inactive

Post by pellaken » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:49 am

let me rephrase:

if someone wants to buy some from e-bay then re sell them to be at a profit, send me a PM :lol:

otherwise my rations wont be coming from e-bay

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:18 am

Hi pellaken. You ought to be able to find someone around here who can help you with ebay like that if you want - but are you really not too concerned about price?? I mean, let's say I buy a case for you for $40 plus $20 shipping (to me). I then turn it around, send it you in Canada for (let's say) $30-$40 for shipping plus whatever else profit you might agree too. That jacks the price up anywhere from $20 or more per case

Lots of ebay sellers accept money orders so you shouldn't have to worry about use paypal/credit cards if that's what has you most concerned.

GigaBuist
inactive

Post by GigaBuist » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:31 am

For some reason I'm not able to fall asleep tonight...

To the original poster, if you're thinking storage at a location that you're going to be staying in MREs probably aren't what you'd want to load up on. Some? Heck yeah... might as well, but if you're looking to amass a month or year's worth the extra food (not a bad idea really) then dried goods are probably a better route. Think large quantities of rice and dried beans, corn meal, dried potatoes, etc. Of course, that means you've got to have the means to prepare the food, but you're going to need stuff like fuel sources and water if you plan to stay afloat for any long period of time. They sort of go hand in hand.

While it's certainly plausible to stockpile a month/year of MREs and bottled water, its not very cost efficient. Remember: MREs were designed (poorly, sorta) to be carried in the field when out on missions.

Besides... if you're holed up for a month or more, you're gonna get bored. What do you do while out camping? Gather wood for cooking, fish for more food, and cook. Sucking down an MRE takes, what, 20 minutes? If you're not out doing stuff that means you need 2 meals a day (or less) so you've got a whole lot of empty time on your hands. :)

Everything said above is correct... just food for thought. No pun intended.