What MRE did you eat today?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
blue87fj60

Re: What MRE did you eat today?

Post by blue87fj60 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:00 am

Yeah none of those “sandwiches “ in the FSR’s are very appealing to me. All the sides are good though pretty much.

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Teddydogno1 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:33 am
I've been working on a FSR ration since Friday. Menu 7 packed in 2017.

Started with the nut and raisin mix, turkey nuggets and spicy cheese snack crackers on Friday. All quite good, really. the Spicy cheese crackers are basically jalapeño flavor Cheese Its. Oh, the chocolate First Strike dessert bar was good.

Over the weekend I finished off the above and had the Beef nacho cheese "shelf stable sandwich". Not so good...it is really a 4 inch long chunk of beef stick in a bread pocket. Meh. The Fruit Punch drink was OK. Apple Cinnamon First Strike bar was tasty, too.

Tomorrow I plan to finish it up and eat the "Sweet and Spicy" tuna, snack bread, bacon and potato soup/spread and whatever else is in there.

Edit: had the Zapplesauce as part of breakfast today, too.

Rob
Finished up today with lunch of the Sweet and Spicy tuna, Fat Free Mayonnaise, TFF Wheat Snack Bread, Lemon-Lime Beverage Powders and tube of weirdness called "Cheddar Potato with Artificial Bacon Bits Spread Soup Mix".

The tuna is a flavor I like and buy for myself anyway. Mixed with the included mayo, It seemed like a LOT of tuna. After using both pieces of TFF Wheat Snack Bread, I still had a lot left and broke out some normal crackers to finish it off. The FSR pouch is 4.5 ounces while the commercial ones I get are 2.6 ounces.

The drink mix was good and mixed well, but even using only 10 oz. of water instead of the suggested 12 oz, it was a little weak.

Then, at last, there was this...

WTF??? The directions say it can be used as a spread (after kneading), or mixed with 3 oz. of hot water to make soup. I put it on the crackers and must say, it isn't BAD. It IS odd. The texture is a little grainy. It smells mostly like cheese. It is salty and just a little runny. Next time I'll try it as soup.

Rob

HeinrichFuchs

Post by HeinrichFuchs » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:05 pm

Finished a French menu 10, duck and mashed potatoes. Quite a tasty one, definitely have more food than I currently require in a 24 hour period though, but I can't complain :)

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:36 am

Teddydogno1 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm
Teddydogno1 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:33 am
I've been working on a FSR ration since Friday. Menu 7 packed in 2017.

Then, at last, there was this...

WTF??? The directions say it can be used as a spread (after kneading), or mixed with 3 oz. of hot water to make soup. I put it on the crackers and must say, it isn't BAD. It IS odd. The texture is a little grainy. It smells mostly like cheese. It is salty and just a little runny. Next time I'll try it as soup.

Rob
Yeah that has been sitting on my table in basement for quite some time. I’ve never seen it before getting one in an FSR. The whole spread/soup thing had me scratching my head. Lol

bart

Post by bart » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am

Halal Jalfrezi with Lamb

Cajun mix, mixed nut crunch, halal banana pudding, apple turnover
Attachments
1BA52283-FC03-4B09-BA27-CDEACAA82ABD.jpeg

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:56 am

those puddings always look great
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:36 pm

Really? The texture and appearance puts me off that pudding. The flavour is passable though.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

bart

Post by bart » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:25 pm

Reminded me of custard! It was actually really good, not sure about other flavours but ill try a different one over the next few days

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:04 pm

Had an MCW Breakfast Skillet Sunday morning.
Dang that sucker was good. I mixed in the Jalapeño cheese that came with it.

bart

Post by bart » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:16 am

Taco! Last one I had was 2 year past inspection with not-so-well-stored lifetime and tasted bad - amazed at how good this one is was in comparison
E9D152B6-DA82-444C-BD50-45F8B1E7EFD1.jpeg