Interesting Info on machine guns, silencers, etc

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
DIRTYDAVE

Interesting Info on machine guns, silencers, etc

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:00 pm

I can't really own a machine gun (or silencer) can I?

Actually, most people think machine guns cannot be owned by individual, private citizens. The truth is that YOU CAN !!! And it's not difficult if you're not a criminal. The 1934 National Firearms Act which governs this kind of weapon created a registry, into which ALL privately owned machine guns etc must be entered. To own one you must apply on an ATF Form 4. Fingerprints and photographs (duplicates) are required. A one-time transfer fee (look at it as a FEDERAL EXCISE TAX) of $200 accompanies the application. You must reside in a state which does not disallow private ownership, an example being Illionois. Silencers and short-barreled rifles and shotguns are treated the same way and are thus regulated. Also, the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) must sign your ATF Form 4. By signing he assumes NO LIABILITY!!! Rather, he affirms that YOUR possession violates NO state or local ordinance, nor has he reason to believe you would use the weapon for criminal purposes. This fact is borne out in Searcy et. al. v. Dayton Ohio on my links page. Most CLEOs do not realize this until you point it out. The CLEO is your chief of police, your sheriff or head of state police...or it could be district attorney or judge, in other words, anyone with arrest powers in your locale.

They don't make 'em anymore, do they ??

In 1968 (Gun Control Act) importation of machine guns was forbade for civilian use. In 1986 (McClure-Volkmer Act) domestic manufacture was forbade for civilian use. Civilians can purchase machine guns in the registry before those dates. An example is a registered 1983 Colt M16. Yes. You can own it. It was manufactured in Connecticut in 1983. Currently brand new UZIs are being made and are available NEW IN BOX . This is possible because the receiver of the gun (which is the registered part) was registered before May 19, 1986 (cut-off date).

Why should I own a machinegun ??
Here's why:

1. Why not?
2. They're kinda neat and fun to shoot. Ever try one?
3. Great Investment: The value continues to increase (supply v. demand)
4. Collector interest
5. They're legal (depending on which state you live in)
6. Who says you have shoot fullauto. You can also shoot single shots !!
7. Very interesting mechanically

Why a silencer ??

Owning a silencer has nothing to do with stealth and criminality. While I like to shoot a guns, they do actually make an obnoxiously loud, annoying noise. It's nice to not have to wear hearing protection when shooting, whether single shots or fullauto. It's much more pleasant and enjoyable. Besides, as my wife points out, hearing protectors (depending) may mess up her hair. (L.O.L.) That's a good one.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Rey

Post by Rey » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:59 am

We should also remember that those machine guns are very expensive. There is a move to have the 1986 ban on new machine guns overturned.

Twobravo

Post by Twobravo » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:04 am

Rey wrote:We should also remember that those machine guns are very expensive. There is a move to have the 1986 ban on new machine guns overturned.
Yeah buddy, the same "move" that's been trying to get it overturned since...1986. :lol: