New here, great site!

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
truzoom

New here, great site!

Post by truzoom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:48 pm

I'm a big fan of MREs and it's really cool that kman has setup a site here with loads of information on them. I was particularly fascinated by the international rations!

One thing, though: A few weeks ago I was given 9 packs of MREs that are relatively new, according to the different entrees I had, and they were all delicious (aside from the enchiladas and salsa+chicken combos I found a bit bland), but I came across a slight health issue from eating one a day.

Not to ruin the mood of a good appetite, but it seemed like they would constipate me like there was no tomorrow. I would usually open up a pack for lunch, and eat mostly everything, but I never really used the accessories pack except for the tobasco sauce or wet nap. The worst part was I had been craving some MREs for some time, so I was on a spree to try them out as quick as possible. It was one of the worse weeks of this year, but I eventually started to eat the individual parts of each MRE so I wouldn't be stuffing myself in a <10min period.

I noticed that kman went a week on MREs, and I'm wondering if he(you) encountered any problems from it. I was under the impression that MREs were low fiber so that soldiers would not have to be going #2 every few hours.

Well I hope my introduction didn't scare any of you off. Thanks!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi truzoom - welcome to the forums!

I've seen the constipation question pop up a couple of times and if you search the forums for that word, you might find some other threads.

But the short story from my experience is this: the older (pre-1995) MREs had that same effect on me but I haven't had that problem with the later MREs.

I think how MREs affect you is a personal thing. Heck...just ask DirtyDave to relate some of his intestinal "side effects" from his MRE eatings. I'm guessing it was some one particular ingredient that didn't sit well with him.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:43 pm

Welcome truzoom! Thanks for sharing your "bowel" related story...LOL! Yes, I have had the "green" poop syndrome in the past when eating MREs. I have experienced a bit of constipation and very loose bowel movements as well, so I think it is some sort of a adjustment period that has to take place when trying out MREs. I have never eaten them other than perhaps one or two days in a row, I have never gone a whole week of doing it. It does not really seem to be anything consistent with me. As someone once said...You will never know all the answers to all of your questions in life and I guess this is one of those times.

Enjoy your stay here....sit down relax and Oh can I trade you my Country Captain Chicken for anything else...I MEAN ANYTHING....LOL! (a big joke in the forums here...read some of the past posts).
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:21 am

You can send your CCC's my way, Dirty Dave. Unlike Kman, I like the almond slices.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:13 pm

Darn hell devil, I am sorry, I had some rats to get rid of in the closet so I put the CCC in there...the rats were found dead this morning... :lol:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"