Wheat Snack Bread

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
aquarius

Post by aquarius » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm

Wheat Snack Bread!!
Oh did you guys made me anxious about this fantastic piece of MRE-meal. Finally I found one in one of my sparce MRE's, put peanut butter on it and put the result it into my mouth...
I have some experience wih the peanut butter so I was wise and had half a liter of lemonade from a British ration at hand.
But did you ever tried to open your mouth while your jaws, tongue and lips were glued together?? This time the glue was Snack Bread & Peanut Butter. I had to drink the complete half liter of lemonade in order to flush the glue down my throat !

Probably the Snack Bread has been invented so that the US soldiers at home can get used to arid conditions.

greetz!
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:08 am

aquarius...you spelled the word BEANS as BEENS, you may want to fix that bro.... :wink:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

RGoodellSr
eBay name: Goodell911

Re: Wheat Snack Bread

Post by RGoodellSr » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm neutral on the Wheat Snack Bread. It definitely isn't desirable by itself, but with the right topping, or dipping into an entrée I find it really pleasant. The bread is an important component for calories and carbohydrates, and isn't that bad considering the fact that it's shelf-stable.
Please visit Rick & Aedyn on YouTube: MRE Goodell

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:10 am

the local birds around here love the wheat snack bread :P

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:44 pm

The "Wheat Snack Bread" was a solution in search of a problem. The calories are the same as crackers.

Shelf stability is certainly no better, and arguably much worse, moldy snack bread is not unusual. But I've never seen or heard of a moldy saltine. Not to say it can't happen, just that I've never seen it.

And they fulfill no purpose that I can discern. They can't be crackled over Chili or Beef Stew either, as God intended. Plus, they have that really horrid, lingering aftertaste. No, the best that can be said about the "Wheat Snack Bread" is WTF were they thinking? Ten bucks says they probably cost more too.

It ranks right up there with many other bonehead ration moves - taking the ciggies out, sugar free anything in a survival ration, canola oil ruining any long term shelf stability, catering to vegetarians who statistically don't exist, etc etc. Makes me wonder whose side some of these people are on.