MRE's on vacation? (Airlines)

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Phonelesscord

MRE's on vacation? (Airlines)

Post by Phonelesscord » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:35 pm

I've heard mixed answers, but since you guys are experiences, maybe you can help.

I'm flying down to Colorado from Oregon, and was pl;anning on bringing some MRE's for lunch. Think this would be OK with the airlines?

(BTW, stumbled across this place when shopping for MRE's it helped me a lot! Almost ended up buying some civvy crap, hehe)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:28 pm

Hi Phonelesscord. Of course, we can't speak for the airlines and with the way things are now with security they can pretty much do whatever they want...but with that said, here's what I'd offer up as my opinion...

Newer MREs have this warning printed near the bottom of the package:

Unfortunately, I don't have an MRE handy and I can't make out the complete text on the bag above, but it reads something like this: "Flameless ration heaters are prohibited on commercial airlines unless sealed in their original container".

I take this to mean it's ok to take an MRE on a plane as long as it's unopened and the FRH isn't loose in your bag. To be safer, I'd recommend just checking it in your baggage so the x-ray guys at the security gate don't freak out over the foil pouches.

One note about this...when I was travelling last year, I saw a guy in the airport who looked like he might be a soldier going on leave. He wasn't wearing a uniform, but he was carrying a medium Alice pack and had two MREs strapped onto the outside of the pack. He was getting on the plane so he obviously didn't have any issues with security.

Phonelesscord

Post by Phonelesscord » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:54 pm

Yeah, I once saw a guy stopped because the guards were new and thought they looked like bricked bags of cocain, hehe.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:34 pm

Welcome phonelesscord to the board. I am curious, how did you come up with that name?

At any rate, why not just pull the heater out of your MRE bag and then heat up your rations with a microwave like I would do... :lol:

No smart alec responses from you kman...LOL!

PS By the way, what foil are you referring to kman? I have never seen foil in any of my MREs. :shock:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:01 am

I'm pretty sure those retort pouches are three layers - one mylar, one foil, and then another mylar. Wait a minute and I'll dig up a link...

Ok, here you go - it's the best I could find on short notice:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/mre3.htm

Phonelesscord

Post by Phonelesscord » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:17 am

Haha, the name... I don't remember, back when I was younger, just a cal name.

We;ll see. I think it'll be ok with the original packing, but I want to see what the airport says. I think they'll be more worried about the matches.

Phonelesscord

Post by Phonelesscord » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:55 pm

Ok, heres the thing, if any of you plan to fly these in the future.

You are allowed to have 4 safety matchbooks on your carryon max, NONE in your checked baggage. The FRH's are ok, but still best to souble check with your specific airline.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:13 pm

Phonelesscord wrote:Ok, heres the thing, if any of you plan to fly these in the future.

You are allowed to have 4 safety matchbooks on your carryon max, NONE in your checked baggage. The FRH's are ok, but still best to souble check with your specific airline.
You got me on this one phonelesscord...what does it mean to "souble" check with your specific airline? SOUBLE, I don't know the definition of this.......OH, YOU MEAN DOUBLE CHECK... :lol:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Phonelesscord

Post by Phonelesscord » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:34 pm

Heh... heh