from a newbie

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
kent
inactive

from a newbie

Post by kent » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:31 am

hi guys :D i like the forum. just wanted to let you know that in the july catalog from www.beprepared.com they have mre cases for 53.99 shipping is 6.00 for one case and 9.00 for two cases. i dont know who makes them but untill cases from the florida storm or forest fire crews start hitting ebay this might be the best deal if you need them soon. also you can get on the mountain house mailing list and they will let you know when they have any specials. thay dont have them very often but about a year ago i bought a case of lurps ie peanuts-cashews-m&ms for about 80.00 six #10 cans good for 30 years .thats alot of snacking when mres start to get bland. they are also great to vac up a few pouches for a bug out bag.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:22 am

Hi Kent - welcome to the forums!

Do you have a direct link the MRE cases you're talking about? I went to this page:

http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist.asp_Q_c_E_100

but didn't see any cases for $53.99.

Wow...six #10 cans full of peanuts and m&ms - that's some serious snacking!

kent
inactive

item number

Post by kent » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:16 pm

hi kman, just go to that same page and use item number xe1-fm-m750 its called emergency backup meals. also look at xe1-kx-m710 its called mre 0ne week food supply its 64.99 and has 21 main entrees-14 side dishes-7 desserts-7 beverages-7 bread-7 dairy shakes-4 peanut butter-4 jam. also once you order from them thay will send you sale flyers every month. they also have mainstay-datrex and sos 3600 cal food bars for 6.99 i bought a case of 10 mainstay 3600 bars in may form them they came fast were made in 12-04 and good untill 12-09 so i assume the mres would also be fresh. the thing i like best about them is the shipping prices 0-60.00 is 6.00 -60 to 120 is 9.00 and 120.00 and up is 12.00 so if you get with your friends and place a huge order the shipping is never more than 12.00 wow it sounds like i work for them! I dont but i have been burned by folks like cheaperthandirt .com that in 2004 sent me some mre choc bars and pound cake that was packed in 6048 thats 48th day of 1996 eight years old and who knows what temp they were stored at.. last night i looked at mountain house and they dont show lurps any more so i did a search and the best price i could find was 29.00 per #10 can at www.southsummit.com well hope that helps, later kent :lol:

thechip1

Post by thechip1 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Hey Kman, the County Captian Chicken is only $2.10 an entree. You better stock up while they still have some left!

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:12 pm

Darn it...I hate it when I type up a long response to a posting and then screw up and lose everything I just typed. So let me try to remember what I wrote a couple of hours ago...

Kent...ok, I found the meals you were talking about. It looks like those are the kinds of MREs were BePrepared just took a bunch of spare MRE parts and put them together in their own bag. I guess that would be an ok MRE solution...if they only cost $2-3. But at $4.50 (each if you buy 12) or $6 for a single one, for me, I'd rather just go on ebay and buy a case of real military MREs for $40 plus shipping. This comes out to about $55-60 for me. But it's just a personal choice. Heck...if they sold those beprepared MREs for $25 a case, I'd probably buy a bunch.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:16 pm

thechip1....yum! Not only can I stock on my least favorite MRE entree, but I can pay way too much money for it! How can I say no?

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:48 pm

Yes, kent, that is too much to pay for a "frankenstein" mixture of MRE's. The last case of MREs I bought on ebay were $39.99 plus $14 for shipping. Look on ebay bro. There's nothing like the real thing BABY! :P
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kent
inactive

Post by kent » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 am

hello dirtydave, well i did buy 5 cases 3as and 2bs from ebay seller myexotictreasures packed 4345 for 35.00 + 20.00 ship each but now when she does have them she doesnt use the buy it now price so they go high on open bid. I just wanted to tell folks about beprepard because some dont play ebay like us and some dont want to chase a case untill the last 30 seconds of the bidding that can end at 1am. Its funny i live in the mountains 30 miles west of denver and have one bedroom full of gear and food more than i will ever need but still cant seem to pass up a good deal. started buying in 1984. point of intrest most folks dont know that tuna in water has a 3 to 5 year shelf life. great for home stock. i have eaten 5 year old tuna and it was fine. well :oops: it looks like im writing a book here so later . good forum

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:13 am

Hey Kent - you sound like me with one room full of more food than you'll ever need (but you never know!). Also, I know what you mean about that ebay game. I think every case I've bought over the past year or two has been some sort of buy-it-now - preferrably the ones that are really good deals. DirtyDave and I are still pining away for that deal last year from guy who had a ton of cases for $25...and he was pretty close to DirtyDave so it was free shipping (pickup) for him.

So tuna in water only has a 3-5 year shelf life? Hmmm...I have an MCI can of tuna from 1974 just sitting in my garage. I keep waiting for it to explode but it hasn't yet - it's not even bulging. Maybe I'll have to crack it open and take some pictures for you guys when I get home.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:14 am

Well kent, with a name like myexotictreasures, there is not telling what is going to come packed in those cases...adult toys perhaps? :twisted:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"