2005 Dated cases on E-bay

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
thechip1

2005 Dated cases on E-bay

Post by thechip1 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:43 am

In case anyone is interested, this fellow has four cases (2 A and 2 B) that are packed 5080, with a reasonable Buyitnow price.

The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 53336&rd=1

I'd buy them myself, but I think I may have reached my wife's maximum allowable MRE stock (4 regular, 2 RCW cases!) I would like to try some of the new menu items though.

Just thought someone out there might be looking for some.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:50 am

Funny you should mention that auction...I just saw it this morning and picked up a couple of cases from the guy. Hopefully they have the 2005 menus inside. Just because it says 2005 for the date packed doesn't always mean they'll have 2005 menus inside - but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

$40 is a good price and shipping isn't inflated at all. And the guy was pretty responsive to my questions.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:07 pm

Wow, fantastic, I just bought a case of Menu A. That is a great price! Thanks for the headsup. It is a good idea for us to keep each other informed of good deals like this, let's keep it up!

PS The guy has a curious email address: his extension is us.army.mil Is that like an official army email address or something? Are we being set up? :evil: :evil: :evil:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

thechip1

Post by thechip1 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:01 pm

If he works for the army, that probably is an official U.S. Army address, but he could be either uniformed or civilian. I work for the U.S. Navy as a civilian, and my e-mail address is @navy.mil.

DangerousDave

Gov't. issue email!

Post by DangerousDave » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:18 pm

:idea: Thats not a good sign. Maybe the guys just a newby E-2 or something. home on leave, and captured a few cases somehow. I don't think I would mess with it, unless someone knows him. I did'nt check out the details, I'll go to Ebay and check it out.

thechip1

Post by thechip1 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:26 pm

So did any of you guys get the cases you ordered from this guy? I was wondering if they were the 2005 menus or not. He seems to have more of them for sale, and I'd like to try the 2005 menu myself. Thanks.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:31 pm

Hey chip, I ordered my case this past Friday. I have not received it yet but as soon as I do I will let you know if I did indeed get the 2005 menu. I only ordered one Menu, Menu A, unlike kman who I believe ordered one of each so unfortunately I will only be able to give feedback on the one menu case I ordered. I will eventually get Menu B, but that will be a few weeks or so.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Twobravo

Post by Twobravo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:37 pm

DIRTYDAVE wrote:Hey chip, I ordered my case this past Friday. I have not received it yet but as soon as I do I will let you know if I did indeed get the 2005 menu. I only ordered one Menu, Menu A, unlike kman who I believe ordered one of each so unfortunately I will only be able to give feedback on the one menu case I ordered. I will eventually get Menu B, but that will be a few weeks or so.
Please let us know ASAP. I'm monitoring these 2 cases also. I wish I could get some for under $60 per case delivered though.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:48 pm

Hey Twobravo...I just received my two cases a few minutes ago...standby for some more info (and pictures).

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:10 pm

Hi guys. Like DirtyDave mentioned, I ordered a couple of cases from the guy. We exchanged a few emails and he seemed like a pretty good guy. And heck...seeing as the MREs just arrived, I'd say he's a great ebay seller with very fast shipping.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the cases. Out of all the ways to ship MREs, this is the best way. With the case wrapped in brown paper, you don't have to worry about it getting written on, taped up, etc. And your mailman doesn't look at you like you're some kind of survialist nutjob because this is the 50th delivery of military meals in the past week. :-)

Image Image

So the cases looked good but alas...these aren't the 2005 menus. I opened both the A and B cases and the new menus (Cheese & Vegetable Omelet, Chicken Fajitas, and Sloppy Joe Filling) weren't there. Oh well...I figured it would be close anyway - March is still pretty early for the new menus to appear in the cases. But these are still pretty darn fresh MREs and it's a decent enough price.

I did notice one new thing about these MREs (they're from Sopakco, btw) - they now have a date code printed in BIG NUMBERS on the front or back of each MRE:

Image Image

For the past year or so, they've been imprinting the date code on the back of the MRE bags but I like this new way much better - it's easier to read - the old method could go completely unseen unless you knew what to look for.