Meet Up Poll

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Militaryration_guy

Meet Up Poll

Post by Militaryration_guy » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:11 am

Hey everyone, sorry for the long break but I was busy all summer, anyways now that school is back in session for me and I have time through out my day. Me and Ted still wanted to try to do another Ration Collecting Community meet up but we want you guys who actually attended to submit your opinions on the one in 2019 and how it could have been better if you think something could have been better.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

Smitty

Re: Meet Up Poll

Post by Smitty » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:47 pm

2019 was pretty laid back. We met at a hotel outside on the patio one night, chatted a bunch, and the headed to a metal building where MRE Nation was. Had a few presentations (FRH how-to, Steve and Smokey opened a Small detachment), but mostly hung out. Marilyn had her delicious gooey butter cakes out. Everyone was on their own for lunch. We then met up at the hotel after hours, a huge group of us, opened rations and chatted/laughed through the night.

The “after-party” was the heart of the Meetup. Good people coming together around rations. Laughing, talking, and nerding out.

The bad for me was only that the warehouse was hot, noisy with fans, and had a portapotty (I think). I’m not accustomed to the Kentucky heat and humidity hah.

IMO It doesn’t need to be heavily planned, just need a solid venue that people can move around in or sit and chat, and stay comfortable in the heat. Being close to food/lodging for people to get what they need is also a good idea, or come and go. Also probably good to be able to hang out late.

You know my opinion, but I’ll restate just so it’s in one spot. Be nice to be somewhere that is also interesting to visit. I’d come down for extra days before or after the meetup to explore.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Sailswish

Post by Sailswish » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:36 pm

I'm in Maryland. Would meet up out "west" in Ohio. That way I can visit Jungle Jim's supermarket. Next April 8, 2024 is a total solar eclipse and I will be on a road trip through its path through Texas to Ohio a few days before and checking out the forecast for clear skies.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:00 am

What's you guys and girls inputs on months for the meetup, obviously it'll be sometime in 2024 but anytime in mid May of 2024 or after is what I suggest but that's only because I graduate in mid May so it'll be easier for me to attend then.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:32 pm

I attended last time and enjoyed it very much. I gave the FRH demo, which is still on video somewhere here on the site. I'd have to fly in again to make the next one, and would consider it.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:58 am

RockyRaab wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:32 pm
I attended last time and enjoyed it very much. I gave the FRH demo, which is still on video somewhere here on the site. I'd have to fly in again to make the next one, and would consider it.
What state(s) would you prefer the meetup be in

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:24 am

Just for the sake of shorter travel for everyone, somewhere in the middle of the US (I apologize to our non-US members like housil) like Kansas City would be smart. Just not some high-crime city like Memphis or St Louis. I don't know who might host it or arrange all the gazillion details, though.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Sailswish

Post by Sailswish » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:24 am

I belong to a Professional Captains Association and ever since COVID, the meetings have been on Zoom. Doing a Zoom day of MRE's talk may be a more practical way of getting global participation. I think charging some sort of admission fee which could go to a charity will give everyone some skin in the game and not blow it off. Just a thought. There's a lot of European reviewers that I would like a chance to say hi to and socialize with who would never consider flying to middle America.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:31 pm

Sailswish wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:24 am
I belong to a Professional Captains Association and ever since COVID, the meetings have been on Zoom. Doing a Zoom day of MRE's talk may be a more practical way of getting global participation. I think charging some sort of admission fee which could go to a charity will give everyone some skin in the game and not blow it off. Just a thought. There's a lot of European reviewers that I would like a chance to say hi to and socialize with who would never consider flying to middle America.
You nessacarily can't have as much fun on a video chat but perhaps a count of how many European vistiors would be willing to come as opposed to how many USA visitors, if there's more European visitors, it maybe practical to do it in a state maybe not the Eastern seaborad but close to the East coast.