MCW main meals no longer produced by Mt. House?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
SirG2020

MCW main meals no longer produced by Mt. House?

Post by SirG2020 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:08 pm

Hello all. So I was looking on eBay for some MCWs and found this description from one seller. Have any of you heard anything like this? Thanks

“Oregon Freeze Dried Foods announced that they have run their final contract production of Military MCWs. Get your MCW before they're gone forever! The Military Spec Pro-Paks are now being produced for the military in place of the former brown package MCW rations”

housil

Re: MCW main meals no longer produced by Mt. House?

Post by housil » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:33 pm

From what I understand:

https://theepicenter.com/blog/mountain- ... en%2DFree)

"The NEW Mountain House Pro-Paks are made to the exacting standards of the U.S. Armed Forces for Long-Range Cold Weather Patrols. The Military Spec Pro-Paks are now being produced for the military in place of the former brown package MCW/LRP rations."

MH - the civilian brand of Oregon Freeze Dried (OFD) - is still the manufacturer and at least, they just changed the packing from this:
MCW11.jpg
MCW13.jpg
to this:
Unbenannt1.jpg
Unbenannt1.jpg (32.67 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Right?

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:45 pm

housil wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:33 pm
From what I understand:

https://theepicenter.com/blog/mountain- ... en%2DFree)

"The NEW Mountain House Pro-Paks are made to the exacting standards of the U.S. Armed Forces for Long-Range Cold Weather Patrols. The Military Spec Pro-Paks are now being produced for the military in place of the former brown package MCW/LRP rations."

MH - the civilian brand of Oregon Freeze Dried (OFD) - is still the manufacturer and at least, they just changed the packing from this:
MCW11.jpg
MCW13.jpg

to this:
Unbenannt1.jpg

Right?

Curious if MCW mains in the new pro-pak will have less of the "civilian" look with that blue and whatnot. Hopefully it's solid white or tan. That package is lacking in camouflage qualities.

SirG2020

Post by SirG2020 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 pm

Thanks so much housil! So then it’s not totally true what the seller wrote. Probably just a way to sell them quicker with that description of them not being made anymore at Oregon freeze dried foods…

Steve1989 I’m also very curious to see what they will look like for the military rations. My guess is they will probably pack them in something more “military” style just like it has been so far with their civilian pouches at stores and the brown, vacuum sealed ones for the military

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:50 am

SirG2020 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:57 pm
Thanks so much housil! So then it’s not totally true what the seller wrote. Probably just a way to sell them quicker with that description of them not being made anymore at Oregon freeze dried foods…
Ja, he omit a part of the "story". Maybe on purpose :wink:

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:59 am

I like the fact that the new meals are "clean" and have:

No Artificial Colors
No Artificial Flavors
No Artificial Preservatives

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:30 am

I doubt the new MCW Pro Pak meals will be in civillian packing, but it wouldn't be something we havent seen before;
Trial run (which may affect the packing I guess) Long Life Ration Packet (LLRP) from 1990.
Attachments
rm_52_1_image_8_large.jpg
rm_52_1_image_9_large.jpg
rm_52_1_large.jpg
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:23 pm

Hopefully they make some camo packs for those and it's not like that LLRP. Those were prototypes at least.
Thanks for sharing the photos Amelie, I'm glad the museum could get a chance to check one out. Did Ruleryak get a chance to test any of the components out?

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:25 pm

cavguy wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:59 am
I like the fact that the new meals are "clean" and have:

No Artificial Colors
No Artificial Flavors
No Artificial Preservatives

Hey Cavguy, I wonder if this will reduce the shelf life for long term storage? Less artificial ingredients is much more appealing, nonetheless.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:29 pm

steve1989 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:23 pm
Hopefully they make some camo packs for those and it's not like that LLRP. Those were prototypes at least.
Thanks for sharing the photos Amelie, I'm glad the museum could get a chance to check one out. Did Ruleryak test any of the components out?