Sticky Icky Coffee... but tasted good...

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Phu_Bai

Sticky Icky Coffee... but tasted good...

Post by Phu_Bai » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:21 pm

Opened up a Korean RCI B-2 Unit. The coffee packet was soft and malleable. Clipped three corners with scissors, peeled it back and it was very sticky and looked like tar. Thought I saw mold but it wasn't - was just the light. Tasted a tiny dab and it tasted like coffee and smelled fine. I got 10 ounces of water to a rolling boil and threw in the packet and of course it all dissolved then removed the packet. Held it up to the light and you could see through it. No chunks or cloudiness.

I drank half of it and it reminded me of the MCI Coffee packets as far as the taste. Put a lid on it and stuck it in the fridge and will drink the rest tomorrow. Here is the packet before I opened it. I've seen videos of these packets opened where it was more of a moist powder. I guess something causes it to go tar like. From what I can gather there were some additives, dextrose and a couple others to reduce acidity which is most likely the culprit. Anyone else try one of these yet even though it was sticky and malleable besides me?

cfp.jpeg