Sticky cheese and peanuts butter pouches

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
housil

Sticky cheese and peanuts butter pouches

Post by housil » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:59 am

I have a box where I store/collect all my left overs from rations to eat them "later". One of that drawer has all my cheese, peanuts butter, jams, sauces etc. A certain time ago, I noticed the pouches became "sticky" on the outside and all my hands were "greasy" after touching them. So I cleaned all those pouches and wiped that "grease/oil" off.
Today I checked my rations for leaking, rotting etc. after that super hot summer (in my air conditioned rations room) and "discovered", the pouches are "leaking" oil again, the pouches are sticking together. As those pouches were ~2004/2005 I decided to no longer store them :(
IMG_8945.JPEG
Half of a trash can full of pouches
IMG_8946.JPEG
All other and a view "younger" peanuts butters were still OK
IMG_8947.JPEG
the polymer layer comes off

I had to dump all my cheese two years ago, so goes the peanuts butter too.

cavguy

Re: Sticky cheese and peanuts butter pouches

Post by cavguy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:15 am

Odd! I I would have figured these would have lasted longer especially when store in an air conditioned room. Maybe it's the oil in the peanut butter causing the issue, or perhaps improper packaging from the MFG. during those years?

housil

Post by housil » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:23 pm

Yes, I guess it´s the oil that diffuses.

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:30 pm

I have run into this situation before as well, three times actually. In each instance it occured with unopened MRE's dated to the early 2010s. In each case I opened them and found much of the contents covered in the same greasy/ oily substance. The only common item in all three was the peanut butter. I suspect due to issues sealing the peanut butter pouch, that the oils leaked.