Random menu swap out in MRE case?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Ultio

Random menu swap out in MRE case?

Post by Ultio » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:44 am

I just opened a fairly new case B to check the contents and see if the new menu was present. I immediately spotted a rogue menu 5 – chicken chunks and my heart sank. I thought someone had already switched out one of the more desirable MREs.

However once I checked the rest of the case the only genuine case B meal missing was menu 21 – tuna, lemon pepper. The rest of the case was all there, including the new rice and bean bowl.

Could that be a genuine swap at point of packing? Thinking that maybe Sopakco were short of tuna so replaced it with a chicken chunks? Does that sort of thing happen? Supply chain issues since the tuna is often a commercial product?

The case seemed to have the original glue and straps and the packing dates were all consistent. Plus it seems like an odd swap unless someone REALLY likes tuna. :?

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Random menu swap out in MRE case?

Post by Amelieee1 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:49 am

Yup, seems common.

Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Giantdeer
eBay name: mre_uk

Post by Giantdeer » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:37 am

We've never had a rogue menu swap that we have noticed in the many cases we have opened but we opened a case B the other day and found it was all case A menu's so anything is possible. Shame you didnt have a new menu swap out.

Ultio

Post by Ultio » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Thanks, interesting to see that someone else has had the exact same swap.

I did have a case a while ago that had been tampered with. It had been quite carefully opened and re-sealed. It had all the correct menus, but all with pack dates two years earlier than the pack date of the case.

No great drama though. I purchased them to take out on camping and boating trips and they were just fine.

Mr Haha Jones

Post by Mr Haha Jones » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:56 pm

I had a 2018 case B that I had ordered hoping to try out the Pizza, only to find out it had been substituted with Chili Mac. I was a little disappointed but it could’ve been a worse menu :lol: I would think it would be a supply/shortage issue at time of packing.

sirskunki

Post by sirskunki » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:15 am

This exact thing happened to me twice already! Both times in a case B with insp. date 9/24. Was quite disappointed because I don't really like the chicken chunks.
Always happy to try new rations from all over the world 8)

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:37 am

sirskunki wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:15 am
This exact thing happened to me twice already! Both times in a case B with insp. date 9/24. Was quite disappointed because I don't really like the chicken chunks.
I can put them in my storage for you if you give me $10 :D
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

sirskunki

Post by sirskunki » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:51 am

Amelieee1 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:37 am
sirskunki wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:15 am
I can put them in my storage for you if you give me $10 :D
Haha thanks, how generous of you!😁 Postage fees from the mainland of the old continent would ruin me though😝
Always happy to try new rations from all over the world 8)